The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What GoPro mount?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Can everyone post up what they are using to mount they're GoPro or other camera while on track and some sample video if you have it? I'm going to order a new camera in the next few days and trying to decide what I want and how to mount it. I have been using a double suction cup Fat Gecko mount on the inside of the windshield but my videos are coming out almost unwatchable due to the shake(it could also be my GoPro 3).

At the top of my list is a GoPro 7 and some type of roll bar mount but I haven't found one yet that I'm sold on.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I have a Hero4 Silver and use a headrest mount in lieu of a windshield mount.

Up until recently I was using the headrest mounted CruiseCam (modified to remove bulky camera mount) that is no longer available
It was very stable but since it was mostly metal I was getting some annoying static in the audio.

I recently transitioned to this:

It eliminated the audio feedback but is a tad less stable.
Note: It comes in two different versions. One for Recaro type seats and another for traditional headrests. The toggle selection for the versions seems odd on the website so verify the version you select in your checkout cart.

I will be experimenting with both versions using a remote mic to reduce static.

Here is video with the CruiseCam mount with static (used noise filter in post processing to muffle it)

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I use that same Panavise grip and works great, doesn't move, and the little cushioning absorbs lots of the vibration, and my GoPro Hero 7+8 Black can filter out the rest.

sample video from my shakedown weekend

I thought it was the GoPro 8, but it seems that mounting it further back from the glass also gives it better sound, as before I had a suction mount of it on the front windshield and all it would do is pick up wind. Same cameras, almost no wind.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Good to hear, what zoom and resolution settings do you use?
I'm a big believer in KISS as I like having less things to think about when I'm running. I do 1080x60fps to maximize the life of the card, and with a 512GB card, it's something like 17h of footage, which the batteries would never survive to. For the most part my GoPro Hero 8 Black is running the factory shipping specs, other than I don't do the super high zoom which give it a fish-eye feeling, I've got it back. I used to do the Pro Mode on my GoPro Hero 7 and would tweak the white balance and color warmths afterwards, and ultimately I really just got tired of doing so on everything for such little gain. I mean, my YouTube channel has all of like, 6 videos on it. As much as I'd love to have 4k content, I don't do anything cool enough that somebody would play on an 82" 4k screen, and even if so, it'd probably look just as cool in 1080. Anyhow, that's my .02 on it, but would love to hear your experiences and perhaps give me a reason to start playing with them this weekend, so how about you?

1596230669839.png

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I have nothing to add. Just curious what you had found to work well as a starting point. I think my 7 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow
Ah. The only thing I'd really add is that at first, I was really picky about trusting it. I believe they ship with the beeping noises being really high, which are nice to know if it's running or not. The first few times, try using their official phone app to test, either connecting in via WiFi, or taking a photo. You've got plenty of YouTube videos where they're sharing, but I guess at first, stay with the defaults and see if that's good enough for you, or if you want to keep playing. It's super bright and sunny in SoCal, and with my interior being black, I'm decently happy with it still being able to decently reproduce what's going on at the track. Only other piece of advice is to grab a cheap Chinese knock-off battery pack and chargers, like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082W21Z5P/?tag=tmo302-20 or this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0836YW97C/?tag=tmo302-20

For 30 bucks, getting a charger and 3 more batteries makes it easy to flip the batteries in and out for a track day. I turn the GoPro GPS on (I think in Connections or Networking) to have it also embed things like lat/long/alt/mph, and that constant hunting GPS satellites will drain the battery probably twice as fast. If I do it from the pits, sit 5-10 mins on the false grid, do a 20 minute session, do a cooldown, and return to my pit, I get maybe 2 runs. Having 2 cameras means I'll go through 4 batteries, so you can see the value of one to me. I usually charge back at the hotel, but you could source your power from a laptop or powerbank as well, maybe even your car/truck, but it'll usually cut the USB/Cig lighter when the accessory power turns off.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I did order an extra battery with the camera. I'm using a Garmin GLO GPS unit and the RaceChrono Pro app. I can start my session(and camera recording) in the app and all the data (speed, G's, lap times, etc) are synced and overlaid on the video. It works very well for Autocross but I haven't had it on track yet.

To be clear, this is video I took on my phone but it works the same with a GoPro connected via wifi/bluetooth

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
and the little cushioning absorbs lots of the vibration, and my GoPro Hero 7+8 Black can filter out the rest.
In sections of the video it looks like it is slightly zooming in and on some of the corners it looks like it is panning left and right. Is this the Vibration Reduction feature cropping the video or is that some other feature?

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
In sections of the video it looks like it is slightly zooming in and on some of the corners it looks like it is panning left and right. Is this the Vibration Reduction feature cropping the video or is that some other feature?
That's what they call HyperSmooth, and it's unfortunately only an on/off feature at this point, and since it's fixed to the cage. You called it spot on, where in the high-G load corners, it'll pan and shift, which are dead giveaways. On that run I had my compression and rebound up a little high, so in those places where I hit a hard curb and bounce, the video wiggles very little. That's because it somewhat zooms in say, 5% and gives itself a little room to play with, and focusing on the objects ahead, it can somewhat blend those minor shakes and vibrations out.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
My very first track video came out best, oddly enough with my old Hero 2 and a suction cup mount. I used the go pro editing software which was cumbersome to edit with but the quality I thought was very good. I've since bought a hero solo, and 2 hero 5's and also a 360* Fly which is rather interesting. I've also been using Windows movie maker (because its way easy) and the quality has taken a pretty steep nosedive. (Not sure how much is due to the camera and how much is the software) The only way I've been able to get decent video was with the setting on "Spot". Don't know why but everything else washed out from glare on the windshield no matter which way the car was facing. I've used Race Render with 3 camera split screen too which was a total pain but came out really good considering I have no idea WTH I'm doing. Also, I made a couple solid roll bar mounts. If I remember I'll take some pics when I get back to the shop but they are super simple and uber effective. I now have a Hero 7 that I am looking forward to using but so far it's just been in the box waiting until I get my motor done. I too am a proponent of multiple batteries and dual battery chargers. With several cameras the extra batteries come in handy. I use 64 gig cards and have never come close to filling them up, so 32 gig would probably be plenty if you download and delete the videos each track day like I do.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I might end up 3D printing a mount at some point. I 3D printed my GPS mount to go on a standard suction cup mount and it came out great. I haven't got my 3D printer setup since I did my office remodel.

Dual video does sound awesome. I might use my old Hero 3 facing backwards or under the car somewhere and the 7 looking out the windshield.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I mount mine on my helmet. I had it really dialed in but, this was my first HPDE event with the new helmet and lower driving position. its a touch low and I'm moving around a bit on hard right hand turns...(need to work on that and or harness).

Here's one with my old helmet and the view dialed in a bit better.

For those of you using a GoPro camera, are you satisfied with it? I have a Hero 4 and I'm less than impressed. The ease of editing, in my opinion, is subpar at best. GoPro customer service is horrible at best. For those using another brand, what are you using and how do you like it?

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
For those of you using a GoPro camera, are you satisfied with it? I have a Hero 4 and I'm less than impressed. The ease of editing, in my opinion, is subpar at best. GoPro customer service is horrible at best.
Mine's a Hero2 and I've had zero problems with it that weren't entirely my own fault. I run it at 720-30 as the higher vertical resolutions introduce too much distortion, and IIRC it's always been set to spot metering.

For mounts, I use the stick-on mounts that came with the GoPro, one on the dash and another on the right side of my helmet. In either location, the camera is tethered separate from the mount.

GoPro and Aeroforce#2 web.JPG

Helmet GoPro mount.jpg

Norm

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Here we go;
On the left you can see the lower mount (forward facing camera) and Upper mount (rearward facing camera)
They are just 1.750 Aluminum Shaft collars with a .500 round bar welded to it and drilled/tapped 1/4-20 on the ends to accept the camera hardware. Cheap, light and super rigid.

72337274_10157702729008535_6769745168695296000_n.jpg

6436k152l.gif

TMO Supporting Vendors