The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What helmet do you use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brand and style helmet do you use?
Do you like it?
And, if you don't mind my asking, what did it cost and where did you get it?

The open face helmets they supplied at the Track Attack were light and comfortable, but open face does not seem to be a popular style. Are there any DE events that require full face?

Thanks.
-- Jim

I have the Simpson Bandit iirc the name right, it has the extended front. More room for my fat jaw, it usually hits the inside of full face helmets. I like it a lot, don't remember the price but I got a special deal on it through a friend. HANS cost a lot more than the helmet. I hate HANS, going to try the X whatever version because I heard it doesn't push your head down as much. I like being straight up and down. Unless you are wearing harnesses and are trying to race, you don't have to worry about that though. Never seen it required for anything but racing.

Head shape is different for everyone, there are a lot of brands I can not wear without getting a head ache. So try a bunch on if you have a shop nearby. Many clubs will allow motorcycle helmets, but they are not flame retardant. I have heard some do not allow open face for open top cars, but have never really looked into it. Also they will probably require the shield be down even if it is a open face.

Bike helmets the air flow is really important, not so much in a car helmet. So you don't need a high end one, as long as the fire rating is the same. And they are usually pretty light anyways, not nearly as substantial as bike helmets.

I have a new Bell M4 that replaces a Simpson Voyager that is now out of service date. I prefer the Simpson for the more precise fit but didn't want to spend the extra money. If I really thought the Simpson was going to protect me better in a crash I would have spent the extra money. I need a full face helmet for karting so an open face was never a consideration. I haven't owned an open face helmet in over 40 years. Another consideration is if you got in a crash and the airbag went off you'd be better protected.

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
What brand and style helmet do you use?
Do you like it?
And, if you don't mind my asking, what did it cost and where did you get it?

The open face helmets they supplied at the Track Attack were light and comfortable, but open face does not seem to be a popular style. Are there any DE events that require full face?

Thanks.
-- Jim

I bought this Bell from Saferacer.com. It was $279.95 which qualified me for our "fitness reimbursement" program at work that pays up to $300/yr for "athletic" stuff. This year I'll either buy a guest helmet or a racing suit.

Ever since I ground the face of my dirt bike helmet into the ground knocking myself out, I've been a fan of full face ones. Funny sidenote, the nurse at the hospital asked me if I wanted to wear my jeans home... I said, "Why wouldn't I?" which my best friend followed up with, "Cause you pissed 'em!" :D

http://www.saferacer.com/bell-sport-sa2010-auto-racing-helmet.html?productid=2210

5 DOT 0 said:
I have a new Bell M4 that replaces a Simpson Voyager that is now out of service date. I prefer the Simpson for the more precise fit but didn't want to spend the extra money. If I really thought the Simpson was going to protect me better in a crash I would have spent the extra money. I need a full face helmet for karting so an open face was never a consideration. I haven't owned an open face helmet in over 40 years. Another consideration is if you got in a crash and the airbag went off you'd be better protected.
Funny, I just ordered the same one yesterday since my Arai wouldn't work with the HANS. My Arai fits unbelievably well and the Bell doesn't quite as nice, but it is HANS ready and will work well. My Arai's an 05 so will work as a spare or for passengers for the next few years.

I use the Bell M4, second one. Not bad for and entry level helmet. You can spend a lot more for a fully optioned helmet.

When it comes to helmets buy the very best one.It is protecting your most important body part.In the event of a crash you want your brain to have the best protection.The better helmets are also the lightest.Its amazing how heavy your head gets under G forces.
Just my 02

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Bell Sport, cheapest SA2005 I could get when I was looking. I will probably replace it next year with something slightly nicer with an SA2010 cert.

I would never run an open face helmet as I do not like the taste of steering wheels.

roketman said:
When it comes to helmets buy the very best one.It is protecting your most important body part.In the event of a crash you want your brain to have the best protection.The better helmets are also the lightest.Its amazing how heavy your head gets under G forces.
Just my 02

They did a bunch of testing on motorcycle helmets with different certifications, SNELL helmets use a double poke with rebar which is what fails the cheap helmets. DOT uses a single poke. The single poke allows a softer shell, which will deform and actually transfer less energy to your brain in a single hit with rebar or blunt hits which is what 99% of crashes are based on HURT and a couple other surveys. I am not sure it translates directly to cars as the tests may be different, but more expensive does not necessarily mean better protection. You are also paying for the name and the better ventilation and fit and removable liners and all that jazz. I went Simpson just because I got a good deal and it fits my head well.

I'm not saying the soft helmet rule is the gospel, but there is a good amount of research showing that "high end" helmets are not actually safer. I have taken a couple serious knocks to the noggin in "cheap" helmets, including one that the paramedic that happened to see it happen said I should not have survived because I basically supermaned into a tree, and I have never had head injuries. YMMV of course.

GA
ArizonaGT said:
I would never run an open face helmet as I do not like the taste of steering wheels.

I'm with you. There is another school of thought that says you shouldn't wear a full-face helmet in cars with airbags because it can lift your helmet off your head in a crash. Mine is right up against the roof and my headrest so it ain't goin' nowhere. ;D

I heard that too, not sure if it is true or not. My head is almost touching the roof so I'm probably ok like you are either way.

The helmet stuff I was talking about, there is a British government site that does its own tests using the single hit and they rate helmets. Only seen it for motorcycle helmets but it is interesting to look through. Bike (I think that was the magazine) also did testing using single hits and compared the joules of energy transferred, and found the soft helmets to be much better too. They also do abrasion testing on different types of leather and other stuff like that for moto gear. I have never seen anyone do anything even close with car helmets, but the bike market is also a lot bigger I'm sure so that is why they do it.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Currently, Bell M4. I will be going this route (Stilo ST4 GT) later this year as long as Cloud9 stops posting his damn winter mods ;D

http://www.saferacer.com/stilo-st4-gt-wide-carbon-fiber-helmet.html?productid=2330

Open face is not a good idea even if your club(s) allow them. I know some of mine do not. A good helmet and a Hans is the best mod you can purchase, bat none. Lots of drivers skimp in this area - a real bad idea especially with a high HP ride like the Boss (although shxx can happen at any time).

I bought a pryotech from discoveryparts.com. I buy often from Ron the owner. He is a good guy and has great prices. Check them out.

PeteInCT said:
Currently, Bell M4. I will be going this route (Stilo ST4 GT) later this year as long as Cloud9 stops posting his damn winter mods ;D
We're in the home stretch. Hopefully only another month, although they're talking snow storm possible this weekend. I do see the post count is over 500 in that thread now :eek:

PeteInCT

Connecticut
55 in CT tomorrow ! :p

(I have to bust them on you a little after you made me buy the cool extinguisher setup. At least that's what I told my wife.. :D )

PeteInCT said:

http://www.saferacer.com/stilo-st4-gt-wide-carbon-fiber-helmet.html?productid=2330
Wow, and I thought the CF Simpson was expensive. I like the idea of a larger opening especially when karting.

http://www.saferacer.com/simpson-carbon-fiber-devil-ray-sa2010-racing-helmet.html?productid=2258

Oh and it's supposed to be 75 here tomorrow, no snow in the forecast. You watch I'll be complaining about four weeks in a row of 100+ temps this summer. :eek:

PeteInCT

Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
PeteInCT said:

Wow, and I thought the CF Simpson was expensive. I like the idea of a larger opening especially when karting.

http://www.saferacer.com/simpson-carbon-fiber-devil-ray-sa2010-racing-helmet.html?productid=2258

Oh and it's supposed to be 75 here tomorrow, no snow in the forecast. You watch I'll be complaining about four weeks in a row of 100+ temps this summer. :eek:

Yes, it is quite expensive. I was looking for something with integrated electronics also, which I don't see on the Simpson.

HJC Si-12. (http://www.saferacer.com/hjc-motorsports-si-12-auto-racing-helmet.html?productid=1195)
Fits great, light, and very good safety reputation. I run it with a HANS.

TMO Supporting Vendors