The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What is causing damage to this tire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This was one of the front tires on my GT350. This is happening all around the outside shoulder of the tire and has increased with mileage. The tread itself and inside shoulder are fine. A dealer service manager said there's no issue with the tire and that it was caused by "impact damage" and one of the managers from Discount Tire said Michelin probably wouldn't warranty it but agreed to replace the tire at prorated cost anyway. The car is a 2017 and currently has 1300 miles on it. T his is the only tire with this issue.

IMG_20180130_132508.jpgIMG_20180130_132512.jpgIMG_20180130_132520.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with @302BOB . There does not appear to be any scratches so it doesn't look like you hit anything.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Discoloration on sidewall? May be broken belt.

Ask dealer to balance before breaking it down...

May shake if belt is broken.

There was no vibration when I as driving the car and no discoloration that I noticed. Most of what you can see in the picture is just a dirty tire.

That's where the tread is bonded to the sidewall, I wonder if there is a defect {bubble} in the bonding medium. Maybe it showed up under heat and use.. The area there is pretty thin. I don't think it will be an issue, I've seen bonding lines show up all over tires and they've never caused a problem.

TMO Supporting Vendors