The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What is the best option for renting a towing vehicle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a vehicle that can tow 7,000 lbs, but I don't think I'd want to trust it for a tow over 1,000 miles or over the Continental Divide. What's the best option for renting a decent tow vehicle that can tow say 10,000 lbs comfortably and reliably?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
This can be difficult adventure as many Rentals will not allow towing, so you may be in for a difficult adventure. Make sure you double check, because if you do not tell them your intent, you may also be unaware that the contract denies towing, and this can possibly cause you major issues in liability and even mechanical concerns.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
UHaul in Canada rents both open car trailers and trucks to pull them with. Not horrible for cost either, I could rent truck/trailer 4 times a year for trips to tracks further from home like Tremblant or Calabogie and still be way ahead of the annual expense of owning my own truck/trailer.

Though lately an RV to pull the car to tracks in the US of A has started to sound like a thought too. Decisions, decisions.

I've looked at the U-Haul option locally for me and it seems pretty cost effective. I have also looked at the motorhome option as well. I have a local private party that rents a 28 ft Class C that's very reasonable.

I rented a short 21 foot class C from El Monte RV. I pulled an open trailer to a track event. It was way too small, expensive and I exceeded the towing parameters significantly. It did the job though. I bought a 28 foot class C after that.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Most renters up here won't allow towing a trailer with their RVs. I have a nephew that rents RVs and even he wouldn't bend on that! LOL!! There's a couple of makes of 22-24' RVs now that come from the factory rated to tow 7,500 - 8000 lbs, though most seem to be 5,000 which seems to be marginal given the weight of our cars.

I used tow my race car on a tandem trailer with a 1988 1/2 ton Dodge pickup 318 automatic with no problems, other than it drank a lot of oil. Pre-cursor to the Voodoo? O-o-o-o-oh-h-h-h-h, cheap shot there.

The RVs that are based on the F350/F450 with the V10 should be able to pull our cars on a tandem trailer without an issue. My neighbour across the road is doing it with his F350 based RV and he is towing a full sized Jeep SUV.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Great answers here, as the key is a specific type Rental. We have three Rental Agencies within our Dealership family and none allow towing, but as noted UHaul and Enterprise Commercial can likely help. Great information and TMO folks come through, again! This is great news that I am sure will be beneficial to many others and I know it will give me a recommendation source when customers have this concern?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel