The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What is your Boss 302's Oil Consumption Rate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDIT: Please disregard. I am an idiot and assumed this car took the same amount of oil as my 2011 GT500.

So when I got my 2013 Boss 302 it had 63,087 miles on it. At 63,181 the car said it wanted an oil change so I put in six-quarts of Royal Purple 5W50 that the previous owner supplied. Yesterday with only 65,1xx miles on it I got a low oil warning light. Checked and she is just a hair under 1-quart low.

Most of the driving I've done has been on the street, a few dyno pulls for tuning, and two track days. One with a mere six laps, the other with two wet sessions and one dry session that was only about 10-laps.

My 2011 GT500 never burned oil and I drove it way harder than this car. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? My concern is that the motor is now hurt.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Simple answer , the oil capacity is 8.5 quarts if I remember correctly ??! I use alot more than that in my Boss S , but am sure someone will verify real soon!!??

In other words you did not fill it to capacity, initially. Should be fine, though.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
So when I got my 2013 Boss 302 it had 63,087 miles on it. At 63,181 the car said it wanted an oil change so I put in six-quarts of Royal Purple 5W50 that the previous owner supplied. Yesterday with only 65,1xx miles on it I got a low oil warning light. Checked and she is just a hair under 1-quart low.

Most of the driving I've done has been on the street, a few dyno pulls for tuning, and two track days. One with a mere six laps, the other with two wet sessions and one dry session that was only about 10-laps.

My 2011 GT500 never burned oil and I drove it way harder than this car. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? My concern is that the motor is now hurt.
It’s odd that you’re only a quart low.

You should be concerned. I would check the oil NOW.

First just a little for visual inspection to check for metal in the pan. Or just dump it all to see what comes out.

If it doesn’t look bad, I would send a sample to Blackstone for analysis to confirm nothing was damaged.

I hope for ALL our newer members, this is your notice to RTFM. And to check the dipstick after you fill or top off.

TMO Supporting Vendors