The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What is your favorite brake fluid replacement strategy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
Are there any down sides to running Dot 4 all year round? Will cold weather affect the braking as the fluid is "thicker" I assume? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks,
Brian

racered302 said:
How did you get it to work? I pumped it up to 10-15psi, opened the bleeder and nothing, not even a dribble.

I have used it many, many times and never had an issue. Done both the dry method and the method with fluid. Just put cap on, pressurize and work my way through the bleeder valves. Not sure why it wouldn't work for you.

Brian, no down sides at all and not a stupid question. The only fluid that would be bad to use is a DOT 5.1 DOT 5, it will not mix with water. In this case water "bubbles" in the lines and make their way to the caliper where they collect and reduce the boiling point of the fluid to the point you could boil them under street use. This fluid is used by people with expensive collector cars since it will hurt not the paint if it leaks during maintenance.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I use the mityvac for 'quick' bleeding...just to get any air out and to 'bleed' the clutch via the reservoir. For fluid swaps, it's best to do it the old fashioned way. But I start with the turkey baster to get as much of the old fluid out and to get new fluid into the clutch side like this:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-370/798439-upgrade-clutch-brake-fluid.html

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
YellowBoss said:
Brian, no down sides at all and not a stupid question. The only fluid that would be bad to use is a DOT 5.1, it will not mix with water. In this case water "bubbles" in the lines and make their way to the caliper where they collect and reduce the boiling point of the fluid to the point you could boil them under street use. This fluid is used by people with expensive collector cars since it will hurt the paint if it leaks during maintenance.

Thank you. Was wondering which fluid is used by the people with expensive cars, the Dot 4 or 5.1 and which one hurts the paint?

Thanks
Brian

batman48195 said:
Thank you. Was wondering which fluid is used by the people with expensive cars, the Dot 4 or 5.1 and which one hurts the paint?

Thanks
Brian

Sorry I wrote that incorrect DOT 5 is silicone-based and is the fluid not to use. DOT 3, 4, 5.1 can be mixed and is hygroscopic which means it will mix with the water. That lowers the boiling temp but not drastically like DOT 5 will once moisture has entered the system. The 3, 4, and 5.1 will hurt the paint.

drano38

Wayne
bulldogracer said:
Can you mix the old fluid with the new racing DOT4 or will this cause problems? Thanks!

If you mean use the new fluid to push out the old, yes, they're compatible to do so.
Like others said, get as much of the old fluid out of the reservoir as possible--this year I'll use an IV tube I got from the local vet, its small and flexible to get into the corners.
Then add your new fluid, and start pumping per other posts.

I use the old school method too, but I do have Speedbleeders installed just in case I need to bleed them myself. They seal closed just like normal bleeders, and have not given me any problems. Other brands are built different, so they may fail during hard use (tracking).
http://www.speedbleeder.com/

TMO Supporting Vendors