The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What is your Oil Life meter reading? Do you pay attention to this gauge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Mine is at 43% after just over 5800 miles on the factory fill. I will be dumping it next month just before I put the car away for the winter and getting an Oil Analysis done. I will be changing over to Royal Purple and likely be changing it ~9 months/7500 miles from now on.

There are no track days on the current fill, so I was wondering what interval those Boss owners that track their car change their oil? After every session? Every other?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I change mine after every other track event, more or less. I watch the oil color as much as anything else. I do not drive the Boss on the street, but if I did the longest I would go would be 5000 miles, again checking levels and oil color. Once it starts to get too dark it's dirty so I like to swap it out.

I am no oil Guru, but I'd do some research on the Royal Purple. I have read that they use graphite in their formula to aid in it's ability to lubricate, and I've also read that it can build up in the rings and valves in your engine over time. I am not sure of the validity of those claims but it is something to check out. I am a fan of Castrol full synthetic which I currently use and would not hesitate to use Mobil 1 also, possibly AMSOil if they made a 5W-50 but they do not.

PeteInCT said:
I change mine after every other track event, more or less.
How many track days since an event can be one or multiple days?

I actually go by that Oil Life reading. It's not just a generic countdown number. Ford uses all kinds of inputs to calculate that number, T.P., RPM, ECT, Vehicle Speed, ACT, Run Time, and a lot of others.

I will go by the counter with the exception of the oil filter. I change it at 50% then top off the oil.

Once I get around to trying a trackday or two I will change it more often.

BLAZN BOSS

2012Boss302 said:
I actually go by that Oil Life reading. It's not just a generic countdown number. Ford uses all kinds of inputs to calculate that number, T.P., RPM, ECT, Vehicle Speed, ACT, Run Time, and a lot of others. I will go by the counter with the exception of the oil filter. I change it at 50% then top off the oil.

Once I get around to trying a trackday or two I will change it more often.

I dont track my car and feel the same.........ford didnt do all that just for us to ignore.

A little tid bit of info. Because of the extended oil life monitors, GM was seeing upwards of 10,000 miles before the change oil light would come on. In the beginning these cars would sludge up pretty bad. GM and Mobil 1 came up with a synthetic oil that could handle the extended service intervals. Google "DEXOS".

The point is, use what the manufacturer recommends. Google or ask around if Amsoil turns over their oils to the manufacturers for testing. I am not on the OE or nothing bandwagon by any means, but when it comes to oil I use OE.

Off my soapbox now...

TMO Supporting Vendors