The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What kind of battery are you all running?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I've always had great luck with Optima YELLOW-tops. I wouldn't use a RED-top if you gave it to me.

There are also several lightweight batteries available. I think Braille and Anitgravity are probably the most popular.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
I've always had great luck with Optima YELLOW-tops. I wouldn't use a RED-top if you gave it to me.

There are also several lightweight batteries available. I think Braille and Anitgravity are probably the most popular.

Why not the Red-tops? Those have been used extensively, at least in other cars I'm familiar with.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I am using the same battery but built my own mount. I used flat aluminum for the base, aluminum rods drilled and threaded at each end to bridge the gap from inner fender to bottom of mount. 3/4" thin aluminum angle to secure the battery base. I lined the battery cradle with silicone sheeting. Threaded rod and aluminum tubing and 1/2" x 1" stock for the hold down. On the firewall side I made a piece to hold a 6 fuse panel for add on accessories. Cooler pump circuit, water pump relay and 75A master relay I can switch all from center console. I mounted relays to the battery mount base. Ill add some pics tonight.BCA7F559-3D52-4645-9ED4-406BD6E2DEFD.jpeg

C190BB78-6064-4787-8FFC-685C29D3CB12.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I was using an Antigravity YTX12-24 in a Morris Engineering amount. The whole set up weighs about 5 lbs but I went back to the factory tray and a Napa battery. The Antigravity batteries are pretty expensive and I was replacing them every 12-18 months. The lithium cells would start swelling. I believe the charging system in the Mustang is not friendly to the lithium batteries. I believe it charges too fast or too much. I am not racing and weight isn't that big of an issue. I liked the compare size since I was able to work on that side of the engine bay without having to remove the battery and tray.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I had the same experience with a Braille battery, it didn't swell or anything like that but it was completely unreliable, never knew if it would crank the motor or not. Saving a few pounds is just not worth the hassle if you're not racing.
It does however make a decent dead weight to use for compressing film plastic for recycling.

I have the Antigravity one that is the correct group size. Even with the re-start technology thing, they apparently don/t like sitting all winter without being on a trickle charger, at least that is what they told my when the original one failed last winter. They warrantied it with no hassle though.

DaveW

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
I've used the odyssey pc925 in a couple of cars now with larger electrical drains. Its a decent compromise, about 25lbs, with almost normal battery crank and reserve power. Much less finicky than lithium , and can take deep discharges and come back with a recharge. Current one in the autox car is at about 5yrs old.

Edit - these are very popular with the sxs crowd, so lots of nice mounts are available for them.
HK-PC925_end_540x540.jpg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
I was using an Antigravity YTX12-24 in a Morris Engineering amount. The whole set up weighs about 5 lbs but I went back to the factory tray and a Napa battery. The Antigravity batteries are pretty expensive and I was replacing them every 12-18 months. The lithium cells would start swelling. I believe the charging system in the Mustang is not friendly to the lithium batteries. I believe it charges too fast or too much. I am not racing and weight isn't that big of an issue. I liked the compare size since I was able to work on that side of the engine bay without having to remove the battery and tray.
I had the Antigravity H5 and pulled it out after the voltage went haywire and I got repeated “Shutdown Imminent” messages. Very glad I did after seeing the post by @Fabman. I now use a Wal-Mart battery. They are made by Johnson Controls, who also (among others) makes the batteries at Autozone. For $100, I’ve been using it for 2 years without a problem.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
Johnson Control batteries are generally reliable over 2-3 years, can't go wrong, except for the weight issue. Haven't used Optimas, they are everywhere at speed shops. Thoughts??

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Johnson Control batteries are generally reliable over 2-3 years, can't go wrong, except for the weight issue. Haven't used Optimas, they are everywhere at speed shops. Thoughts??
The Optima battery is one of the best you can buy, IMO. But I did have one die after about 30 months in the wife's minivan. Of course the parasitic losses (what with electric doors, kids, and all) are big.
In my day job, I sell a lot of batteries into the datacenter market. Like a lot. I''ve worked with NiCad, AGM, flooded, Lithium, etc. There's always some trade off. You can pay double and have it last twice as long but in the end the $$$ is the same. At that point it is about convenience. I just wish the H5 worked for me. Dropping 23 lbs with 5 minutes of work was attractive.

TMO Supporting Vendors