The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What makes the Boss 302 a special Mustang....a list.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
I would argue that list may tell what makes it unique but the reason it's special is how well it all comes together. It is just the right amount of noise (alright, with the baffles removed and axle backs lol), the mostly race-ready engine and the perfect balance between low end torque and high rpm power/breathing, the perfect balance between being "raw" and perfectly comfortable for street driving (I know most of us here prefer stiff being track enthusiasts), and one of the closest production cars to neutral handling balance you can get. Then combine all that with the capability, specially given the solid axle, and the price.

Over the years and after driving various different cars on track, I've realized that very few cars hit that sweet spot as well. The best and most fun to drive "track specials" usually cost too much and/or are go too far in one side or the other (too stiff and loud or too soft and cushy, rev to the moon with no low end power or a lot of low end power but don't rev as high, etc.).

I can tell you what makes the Boss special to me:
1) The engine. This engine was actually built by Ford and beat tons of other competitors that had “race” built engines. Initially, the Boss engine and the engine raced were built on the same assembly line. That is huge to me. Later on, the race engines were allowed PAC valve springs and Manley rods, but initially, it was the factory built engine. Only the oil pan was different. Originally, the 12 quart oil pan was slated to go on all production Boss 302 cars. If not for compatibility with the production line, it would have been on every Boss engine.

2) The Chassis set up. This thing is way more capable than most of us can utilize. A lot of us complain about the factory set up, but none of us can match the lap times at Laguna Seca (1:40.4) that a race driver set in a factory car...

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
Where did the Boss come up short?
Cooling and clutch.
For the price we paid, we got a great machine.

I've never ran into cooling issues up here in Canada so I can't complain. The clutch, though... that seems like it would have been such an easy fix for what have been a negligible cost increase that it just boggles my mind. Should've had a better clutch from the factory.

Don’t forget to add that Ford made a documentary about the car...

Yes. Your talking about the three part vid?

Most don’t remember or know but Carroll Shelby also praised the 2012 Boss in its testing phase and back in ‘69 Shelby ran a Trans Am team with the Boss. I believe Gurney was one of his drivers. So, the Boss also has“Shelby”history/provenance.

The Boss engine is a gem and very special. It has all the “right stuff” for competition and right from the factory. That’s huge! I believe this will make the Boss very desirable to collectors in years to come. The rest of the package makes it even more special. You can see Ford really tried and pulled out all the stops to make it the high water mark of the S197 and a car that could compete and win against foreign competition on track.

The car held up the Boss name and mystic.

Actually, if you look at all Ford put into this car and what it sold for it's kind of amazing. I think the Boss will definitely be a collector piece in years to come.

Last edited:
Wasn't it the first production Ford to come with staggered wheels? (not counting the Shelby as production)

#10 - The BOSS intake should be in that list or even have its own line. (Runners-In-The-Box)

#32 - Stock and Recaro seats came with grey embroidered BOSS 302 logo on them.

Unique Ford Performance door scuff plates.

Passenger side dash - BOSS 302 logo.

Blue Coil Covers.

5W-50 oil spec'd by Ford.

BOSS 302 owners manual supplement.

Unlike the 69/70 the 12/13 were allowed to have AC.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
TMS came up with an important issue, the Corsas were supposed to be better and faster, and they only tended to be faster for the period they lasted - quite a few chunked out or broke belts, as noted. The tire was designed for the BMW and it just did not work well with the chassis dynamics and weight of the Boss. Not a great donut , yet now many of us run used World Challenge Pirellis and kill higher priced machines at the track.

The pan is similar to the GT with the exception of one part of the baffle in the sump removed. 8.5 qts is the recommended fill at each oil change. The reason for the missing baffle is to help facilitate faster flow of oil that occurs at high rpm. It like raining down into the pan....

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Yep, when your Porsche buddy whines about lots of oil going into his pancake 4 or 6 you can relate -----8-13 quarts for a Boss fill ranks right up there!

Oh, yeh, just ask how much a GT 350 sucks down????

No, it’s the opposite effect. Still not as effective as the 302S/R pan but better than the GT given its application.

That oil needs to be able to get down into the pan when a high rpm scenario is in play. That missing baffle facilitated the flow without negatively affecting keeping enough oil around the pick up.

In serious, hard core, door to door racing at the limit; The R/S 12 quart pan is the ticket. Granted, we are talking serious race action.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Interesting. Thanks. Makes you wonder why they didn't use the Boss pans on everything in 2012-2014 since one less baffle would make it cheaper to make.

Unless they ordered 4 years worth of GT pans in 2010...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel