The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What makes the Boss 302 a special Mustang....a list.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
@cholmes1 wouldnt the GT40 be the 1st? At least during the 60s?

I am not that familiar with the GT40. What two variants existed in the 1960s? I am aware of the race models (99%) of production and a handful of street prototypes. Were there others created for the street?

Above I am referring to two vehicles intended/eligible for the street under the same unique moniker in the same model year with unique aspects to both (Boss 302 and Boss 302 LS, etc).

Bay Area
I am not that familiar with the GT40. What two variants existed in the 1960s? I am aware of the race models (99%) of production and a handful of street prototypes. Were there others created for the street?

Above I am referring to two vehicles intended/eligible for the street under the same unique moniker in the same model year with unique aspects to both (Boss 302 and Boss 302 LS, etc).
Ahh, I see what you’re saying.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
What about the '93 Mustang Cobra and Cobra R variants?

Great call! It was a limited variant of an already unique vehicle.

The trick now would be to find four distinct variants of the same model road and race prior to our Boss’ (Boss 302, Boss 302 LS, Boss 302S, and Boss 302R). To my knowledge the GT350s have the same number of variants (maybe more) but were never limited in production number beyond the 2015 launch

So I am sure this has probably been done in the past but was thinking there should be a comprehensive list of items that separate the Boss 302 as a special Mustang. I'l give it a go and try to be as comprehensive as possible.

1. It is a Ford developed product and produced by Ford. Not merely a Mustang carrying a name licensed by another company.
2. It parallels Ford history. Produced by Ford and successfully raced as a factory race car.
3. Limited in production to two years with limited production numbers: 2012 there were 3250 standard Boss 302's produced and 767 Laguna Seca's; 2013 there were 3,553 standard Boss 302's produced and 765 Laguna Seca's.
4. Carries a historically significant name in auto sports.
5. Each car is numbered with an identification plaque. Laguna identification starts with a prefix of "LS####". First 50 Laguna's have the LS# match the last four digits of the Vin#. Laguna Seca's also come with special rear badging.
6. The Boss came with an owners kit matched to its Boss.
7. Optional Boss car cover and floor matts
8. Laguna Seca's came with brake ducting in a box for the track.
9. Each LS came with a more aggressive front splitter and rear spoiler for the track and brake ducting in box for the track.
10. The Boss 302 engine was developed specially for the Boss and is a different engine than the 5.0L found non-Boss Mustangs. Upgrades include forged con rods, forged pistons, race main bearings and rod bearings, larger sodium filled exhaust valves, high lift cam, CNC polished heads, exhaust headers and race inspired clutch.
11. Larger radiator and revised plumbing for cooling.
12. Revised baffles in oil pan.
13. Oil cooler.
14. Under body transmission cooler scoop.
15. Finned aluminum differential for cooling.
16. The Boss 302 revs to 7500 rpm.
17. The Boss 302 could be purchased with "Track Key" an industry first that changed the engine parameters to that of the Boss 302R for track use also resulting in a noticeable muscle car lopy idle.
18. Remapped traction control and ESC compared to the Mustang GT to permit more flexibility and performance on the track.
19. Cold air intake.
20. The Boss 302 came with 5 way adjustable dampers front and rear with higher rate coil springs lowering front and rear of car (11 mm front and 1 mm rear). Laguna Seca comes with slightly softer front springs and stiffer rear springs and stiffer dampers.
21. The Boss 302 came with 4 pot Brembo calipers and 14" vented rotors front and 11.8" rotors rear with more aggressive compound pads for the track.
23. Tuned electronic steering with 3 settings.
24. Low expansion brake lines.
25. 6 speed MT.
26. Optional Torsen differential with 3.73 rear. Laguna Seca came standard with Torsen differential and Recaros.
27. 25mm rear sway and stiffer bushings. Laguna Seca came with a 26mm rear sway bar.
28. Quad Exhaust with removable baffle disc for the side exhaust.
29. LS had rear seat delete and X brace for added chassis stiffness.
30. Strut tower brace.
31. Pirelli PZero summer performance tires and Pirelli Corsa tires for the Laguna Seca. Laguna Seca's also received distinctive Laguna Seca wheels over standard "wagon wheel" design.
32. Optional Recaro bucket seats.
33. Distinctive black "Q ball" shift knob.
34. 2012 LS came with distinctive gauge pod on top of dash (oil temp water temp and lap timer).
35. 11 lbs of sound deadening removed.
36. Alcantara covered steering wheel.
37. Boss only color schemes
38. Unique front fascia with blocked off fog lamp opennings
39. Historically accurate livery striping after the 1969 and 1970 Boss 302.
40. Ford produced a 3 part video on the development of Boss.

Feel free to correct add or delete if I got anything wrong.

REVISED 7/7/19 TO REFLECT CORRECTIONS AND ADDITIONS
The real question, is the Boss still a better car then the gt 350 ? All things considered (race history, more reliable engine). Don't think I could part with mine.

The real question, is the Boss still a better car then the gt 350 ?
There are a number of vids out there that compare the two cars head to head.I remember one in particular saying the Boss was more of a "brawler" and the GT350 a more refined road/track car.I've owned my Boss from day one and enjoyed every minute of driving it! I've never tracked it, but enjoy the looks it gets whenever I take it out. I have never driven or ridden in a GT350, so I can only go by the Vids I have watched and it seems like a very potent N/A powered car with more horses than the Boss.and maybe better handling with the IRS, lacking in the Boss.......Bottom line, My Boss has everything I need to keep me happy..That may not apply to everybody.....You know who you are...............I hope TMSBOSS chimes in on this...He owns both cars.................

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Well for me it was the Boss 302 5.0L engine. The new DOHC 302 C.I.D was set for production release with the 2011 MY Mustang GT & it was slated to have 400 plus HP. Back in the day, this was a big deal.

MultiMatic Motor Sports & Ford Racing worked to jointly develop the Boss 302 Race program in late 2009 & campaigned a S197 Boss 302 in the 2010 Continental Cup Series. I remember the Boss 302R (endurance car) as being first out of the gate.

It was a challenging initial year, but with FoMoCo’s commitment, Ford Racing went all out to fix/improve every short fall of the new Race 5.0 engine. The ‘Return of the Boss 302’ launch in 2011 for the 2012 MY Boss 302 production car was a really big deal at Ford, they had to get it right. As Ford Racing, (now Ford Performance) developed the Boss 302 Racing engine with MultiMatic, they worked hand in hand with the Boss 302 Production Team & to ensure the Boss 302 production engine was solid. The changes in the race developed Boss 302 CID (5.0l) production engine were so significant, (at the time) FoMoCo gave it a specific Letter Code “U” to designate its “HiPo” status. The original Boss 302 HiPo was a special “G” code engine, IIRC.

This HiPo U code engine is why I bought my first Ford product, yes I was a conquest buyer having come from a GM family. No regrets after 8 + yrs & 30k miles.

Another item that made the Boss 302 a very special Mustang, (circa 2011/12) was it was 1st to have a ‘Dual Program’ PCM. Ford Racing gave us the Track Key or Red Key as it has become known. Note: Who else remembers the long wait?

Ground breaking stuff at the time.

What do I really like about my 2012 Boss 302? It begins with the Nannies switched Off & a Live Rear Axle. When driven properly, it’s truly an ‘E’ ride experience. (Makes the adrenaline flow)

Last, I’ve been away for a while, but I have to say TMO & all of it’s contributing Members are the best! I’m very happy to this Forum is alive & well.

All the best,

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Vancouver, WA
Regarding brake ducting... see below from ( https://www.mustangspecs.com/2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-laguna/ )

While standard Boss 302 cars get vented brake dust shields to help cool the rotors, Laguna Seca models receive Ford Racing front brake ducts that force outside air directly onto the 14-inch vented front rotors, helping to eliminate brake fade and ensure hard, repeatable late braking on the track.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel