The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What "must have" creature comforts will you put in your Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
dean_acheson said:
It's a base mustang with go-fast goodies. This is one place that Ford "departed" from the original Boss concept. In 69-70 alll of the options were available for ordering on a B2 car except air- or without. A tach was an option on the Gen 1 cars.

In someways this is the car that the base had yelled for since the death of the old 5.0 5 speed LX coupe.

I still think that the Boss as Ford offered it is going to end up appealing to a very limited market. I just saw a CO auction that started at MSRP end on Fleabay with no bids. When you look at a Boss and then see a new loaded Shelby GT500 with leather Recaro seats for not that much more, it makes you think twice. My strategy would have been to create the LS the way it is and offer that as a limited special edition, and then create a Boss performance package that could be ordered on any GT, which would give you the option to order (or not order) the creature comforts that many have come to depend on.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
PJWANNABE said:
dean_acheson said:
It's a base mustang with go-fast goodies. This is one place that Ford "departed" from the original Boss concept. In 69-70 alll of the options were available for ordering on a B2 car except air- or without. A tach was an option on the Gen 1 cars.

In someways this is the car that the base had yelled for since the death of the old 5.0 5 speed LX coupe.

I still think that the Boss as Ford offered it is going to end up appealing to a very limited market. I just saw a CO auction that started at MSRP end on Fleabay with no bids. When you look at a Boss and then see a new loaded Shelby GT500 with leather Recaro seats for not that much more, it makes you think twice. My strategy would have been to create the LS the way it is and offer that as a limited special edition, and then create a Boss performance package that could be ordered on any GT, which would give you the option to order (or not order) the creature comforts that many have come to depend on.

But this is exactly why a car nut like us would rather have a Boss than a Shelby. I mean I was dead set on a Shelby because I was about 5k short in '06 when they first came out. So part of me now that I have the means, said get the Shelby, it's what you've wanted for 5 years. (Longer than that actually: long story short, my dad had an opportunity to buy a '67 GT500 for about 10k in great condition before I was born. He didn't bought a base '67 Vette convertible, which we sold 12 years ago.) Anyways, the hp the Shelby has really is impractical on the street and I'd have to get new tires to put the power down anyways, we all know the story. Sorry, got a bit long-winded there, but my point is that may be the reason this becomes the Mustang to own 20 years from now. Now, I'm not buying it for that, but it played a role in my decision not to pursue a Shelby.

GA
ufnavy06 said:
PJWANNABE said:
dean_acheson said:

But this is exactly why a car nut like us would rather have a Boss than a Shelby. I mean I was dead set on a Shelby because I was about 5k short in '06 when they first came out. So part of me now that I have the means, said get the Shelby, it's what you've wanted for 5 years. (Longer than that actually: long story short, my dad had an opportunity to buy a '67 GT500 for about 10k in great condition before I was born. He didn't bought a base '67 Vette convertible, which we sold 12 years ago.) Anyways, the hp the Shelby has really is impractical on the street and I'd have to get new tires to put the power down anyways, we all know the story. Sorry, got a bit long-winded there, but my point is that may be the reason this because the Mustang to own 20 years from now. Now, I'm not buying it for that, but it played a role in my decision not to pursue a Shelby.

I understand your points, and I pretty much feel the same way. I am just looking at this from a marketing perspective since I am going into brand marketing management and I find it interesting to see what will happen. The art of marketing is trying to figure out how many people will want a product that will have the means to buy it, and that is kind of what I was getting at; how many people who have the means to buy a Boss or Shelby will choose the Boss? I am sure others would choose the Boss but cannot afford one, or the insurance to drive one. I think most people who buy the Boss will be car and track nuts, who love Mustangs and/or the Boss legend, and have the means to own more than one vehicle, so the question is are there enough of those kind of people out there to buy 3-4000 cars this year and next year?

5 DOT 0 said:
Does window tinting count? I plan on having mine done the first week I own the car. Just the back three not the driver and passenger windows and not limo black either.

Missouri is 35%, officers have a "tint" meter they use to measure opacity. You have a leeway of 3% which means a legal limit of 32% tint.

http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/Brochures/documents/SHP-510b.pdf

Helmet, pad spreader, spare bottle of ATE Super Blue, AUX cable so I can listen to my iPod on the way to Summit Point.

MrBonus said:
Helmet, pad spreader, spare bottle of ATE Super Blue, AUX cable so I can listen to my iPod on the way to Summit Point.
Do you run Super Blue on the track? I run Brembo LCF 600 but was thinking of flushing the factory fluid with Super Blue so I know when I have all the DOT3 out. The factory fluid and Brembo are the same color yellow.

cloud9 said:
MrBonus said:
Do you run Super Blue on the track? I run Brembo LCF 600 but was thinking of flushing the factory fluid with Super Blue so I know when I have all the DOT3 out. The factory fluid and Brembo are the same color yellow.

Yes, it's inexpensive, has a high boiling point, and alternating between blue and gold makes bleeding a breeze visually.

Yea it's like 536 F dry boiling point versus 603 or something for Brembo....doing this on my phone. I think I'll order some blue for the first track event and try alternating this year.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Alternating between Super Blue and Typ200 is great. They are the same formulation, but Super Blue has dye. Very easy to know when you're done at each caliper flushing brakes.

We used these in our race car for the last 3 years and never had a fade issue. 536* DBP is plenty. Not to mention it's half the cost of the competitors.

ArizonaGT said:
Alternating between Super Blue and Typ200 is great. They are the same formulation, but Super Blue has dye. Very easy to know when you're done at each caliper flushing brakes.

We used these in our race car for the last 3 years and never had a fade issue. 536* DBP is plenty. Not to mention it's half the cost of the competitors.

I got it to fade once on the Evo X, running 265-wide R888s, running back to back half hour sessions in August heat with no brake cooling guides in place. :p

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
MrBonus said:
I got it to fade once on the Evo X, running 265-wide R888s, running back to back half hour sessions in August heat with no brake cooling guides in place. :p

You must be braking too much :)

I've gotten the Brembo to fade running 305 R888s in a 4,000 lb GT500 ;) The tracks around here all have big straights with speeds in the 140+ range going into 50-60 mph right handers. Hard on brakes...... A friend of mine runs Super Blue in his 98 Cobra but he tips the scales just over 3200 lbs. The Boss being in between will be better than the GT500 but not as easy on brakes as a Vette or older/smaller Mustang. I guess I could try the Super Blue for the first event in April since temps should be in the 70s for highs if that.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Does any one know the quantity required to flush the brakes and clutch. also a procedure for the clutch? I have a unopened 1 liter can of ATE super blue and 2 1 liter cans of the Typ 200. I would like to go blue so I can tell when new fluid has pushed all the way but don't want to run short. Guess I could mix if needed as the only difference is the dye. Wonder why Ford only uses DOT 3 with the Brembo cars, the DBP and absorbtion properties are way better with the ATE.
Steve

Definitely an upscale sound system...not over the top with the trunk being filled up with sub-woofers, but definitely an upgrade from the run of the mill standard mustang radio/cd/mp3. I have the Shaker 500 in my current '07 and that has been more than adequate for the times I want to crank it up. But I have to admit I spend more time driving with it off than on just cause I like to hear my car.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel