The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What next?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi guys Just looking for a little input on what to do next with the car. I don't track the car, no where around here to give that a try. If it can't be done without a tune then I won't do it.

I have a few things done so far and here is the list.

Floor mats (put the stockers in storage)
TracKey
Airaid CF intake
Pypes Pype Bomb axle back
Side plates removed
I just ordered Ford Racing decals for 1/4 windows.

I'm thinking in an order like this,
MGW shifter
1 piece driveshaft
headers not sure shorties or long tubes yet \
Catted H pipe with side pipe connections exhaust all at one time
rest of exhaust system _/
Throttle body if needed

All of that will take awhile to buy and install.
If i'm still wanting more power and close to the warranty running out then on to the fun stuff.

Cams
and maybe that Cobra Jet intake (I think thats the one)

But thats much later on.
What else would you guys add or subtract from the list. I'm good with the looks of the car.

302S or CJ grill, for better cooling. Plus it looks better than the fake vents in the stock one. Remove the wings in front of the rear wheels.

CaliMR said:
302S or CJ grill, for better cooling. Plus it looks better than the fake vents in the stock one. Remove the wings in front of the rear wheels.
My stock grill has through cooling vents on it.

I want to mod my car as well, but understand that it may void the warranty (and I have a 5 year extended) on the car...

I may do the LS rear wing, but I want to do a CAI, Throttle Boby and Bama Tune so bad!!!!

Ben

Benjammin1829 said:
I want to mod my car as well, but understand that it may void the warranty (and I have a 5 year extended) on the car...

I may do the LS rear wing, but I want to do a CAI, Throttle Boby and Bama Tune so bad!!!!

Ben
just do the track key youll be happy.

IMO if you have a MT 82 transmission you have to do the MGW. A well respected tuner guy told me that longtubes and no cats are good for about 20. I asked him why not the 30 -34 that I have read about and he said to be cautious of some of the posted testing results. Some companies have been known to pad the dyno figures to enhance there product. On a previous car, I purchased mods from a company that did just that. I put a aluminum shaft on a previous car and noticed an improvement. I never thought a drive shaft would make a difference until I experienced this first hand. I think control arms are a must. On two previous S197's I used Steeda and Hot part. Both did well. I am getting ready to do them on the Boss, just researching whats available now.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Where would one live that a track is too far away to take the Boss out to play ? The amazon jungle ? :D

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Regal87 said it all ----- absolute must is an MGW short throw shift kit!!

Don't waste money on bigger throttle bodies either. In many cases they do not actually improve the airflow at all. The Ford Engineers working for optimal burn and air management, and it is quite common for folks to go with bigger TB's only to find they lose hp.

TMO Supporting Vendors