The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

what pistons are in the gen 2 2015 and up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was under the impression that the 15+ gen 2 cars had forged pistons like the Boss 302. I was speaking with Ford racing and the guy said hypereutectic. And the rods as well.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I saw that it wasn't very clear but I'm on the fence about adding another $700-800 to my build. I did some digging but anyone have real world expriance with how well the 15 pistons live at extended RPM?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I saw that it wasn't very clear but I'm on the fence about adding another $700-800 to my build. I did some digging but anyone have real world expriance with how well the 15 pistons live at extended RPM?
If its torn down to that point already I would recommend the forged pistons.
One episode of detonation can kill the motor in a flash and then you'll wish you spent that extra 700 bucks.
Just the same, lots of folks are running the stock pistons and are getting away with it but you are right there, why chance it?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Arizona
Mine took a dump in May and I've heard conflicting info about it. To me, it looks like insufficient ring end gap from the factory since the bore was scored all the way around. But some people say detonation even though the top of the piston is intact. I never heard my car ping on the track so I am skeptical. Unless the damage started years ago when I had the Ford Power Pack 2 tune on my car which did ping sometimes and it decided to finally let go at the track this summer.

I'd upgrade for peace of mind if you are already this deep into it.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
When my Boss engine went, I rebuilt with forged pistons and a few months later one of my original forged Boss rods went, ruining the engine again... Told my self, next time, change all the parts that could have suffered damage... not worth the risk. Or at least magnaflux them to check... I did do the crank, but not the rods....

Often you cannot hear any ping at WOT. Thats why I think having a sctx4 or better is a, must have item, too log the car every once in while. You want to see if the engine is pulling timing in any case.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors