The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What redline trans oil to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
For those of you that have done this which type of redline are you running in the trans for stock fluid replacement? Is it mercon V spec thats in it now? I would look in my manual in the car but I am stuck on the ship right now and would like to go ahead and order it. Thanks guys

Redline MTL.

Justin

this is what I got back from Redline when I emailed them
Justin,

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, Ford has called for various fluids in the MT82 transmission, sorry at this point we don’t offer a cross for either the XT-M5-QS fluid or the dual clutch fluid previously used.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

Justin

5 DOT 0 said:
boss2511 said:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RED-50204/
part number being 50204?
That's it. It may not be an exact match to the Ford brand oil but it works very well.
thanks. I just wanted to make sure. seems like red line is covering their A$$ I emailed him back and said whats the closest? lol no reply thus far

Justin

5 DOT 0 said:
For the diff use their lightweight shockproof. If you have the Torsen diff you DO NOT need friction modifier although it won't hurt.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=43&pcid=8
I have a base bose so I dont have the torsen. how well did the lightweight shockproof improve the car?

boss2511 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
For the diff use their lightweight shockproof. If you have the Torsen diff you DO NOT need friction modifier although it won't hurt.

I have a base bose so I dont have the torsen. how well did the lightweight shockproof improve the car?
It didn't improve anything in the diff but the manual suggested changing it after the first track day so I did.

Justin

5 DOT 0 said:
boss2511 said:
5 DOT 0 said:

It didn't improve anything in the diff but the manual suggested changing it after the first track day so I did.
oh ok. I dont think I will track my car other than drag strip. I started looking into the cost to go track it and to rich for my blood. and I have no idea what gear you need...helmet roll bar etc. and I think I would suck lol

By track it, you mean road course?

You need a helmet, closed toe shoes, and long pants. You don't have a helmet? My local drag track would require one for the Boss too. You can do a day with NASA with an instructor for $150 or so, with a $50 member fee also. Or a whole weekend for about $300. There are other groups too. At the speeds you would be running as a beginner, you would not need all the extra junk we all added, just bleed the brakes and make sure your pads and tires are good (no patches).

Is it worth changing the diff fluid on the Torsen after a track day? I thought that was just for the regular clutch one.

I changed mine after my second track day and not the first. Here's what the Boss supplement states on page 33:

"The axle lubricant and friction modifier should
also be changed after the initial (first) hour of high-speed operation or if the vehicle is subjected to
track or competition conditions; thereafter changing the axle lubricant and friction modifier every
12 hours (under these conditions).
Fill 1/4 - 9/16 inch (6-14 mm) below bottom of fill hole.
3Fill to within 1/8 inch (3 mm) of bottom of fill"

Justin

the helmet I have is really old I am saving to buy a new one. need one for the drag strip anyways. I have always been a straight line guy. when I was 17 my cousin wrecked his rx7 driving like an idiot doing 110 in a corner that he should have hit doing 90-95 ended up going through a tennis court. ever since then I dont like to push cars in the corners cause it scares me cause that crash was pretty hard and I hurt for a month after it. I would like to get over the fear of it.

300 or 200 is quite expensive compared to 30-40 to run all day at the drag strip. but I would like to at least give it a try at some point

Straight line is fun too. $150 for a whole day of fun is not too bad, 300 is for 2 days, but the tires and pads and fluids add up pretty fast in a fast car. I would go with NASA or one of the other ones that has good instructions at least once just to see what it is like, and at beginner speeds you won't need to do anything to the car other than bleeding the brakes like I mentioned. The beginner group is slow enough that anyone can do it, I have seen Range Rovers and Prii at the track. Or just don't, I know plenty of people who have no interest in tracking their cars. The real danger with it is you might get hooked, then it gets expensive. I will have about $10K into my racecar when it is finished, which is about as cheap as you can do it in the cheapest class for wheel to wheel racing. But it is a couple grand a year in maintenance and tires/pads assuming you don't have an oops. It would be much more expensive if the Boss was my main track car.

I recommend the stock fluids. There is no reason to not use them, and I can think of few reasons not to use other brands. One of them being when a manufacturer says they don't have a comparable product......

Justin

adam81 said:
I recommend the stock fluids. There is no reason to not use them, and I can think of few reasons not to use other brands. One of them being when a manufacturer says they don't have a comparable product......
Well seeing how ford cant come up with a good fluid to run I am open to options. I am not a believer in that ford makes or puts in the best fluids in the world. in my 96 cobra I ran the ford fluid.....shifted like crap put in red line shifted so much better. and it worked really well in the T56 I put in it later. I will run there oil though if i can find it locally but if I have to go online to get i will get something else like castrol or redline.

Silky shifts don't necessarily mean it is the best fluid. I know in some trannies, like the Mitsu 6 spd, you could go to thin fluids to smooth the shifts but then they would overheat and grenade on the road course. The Boss tranny may be different, but it does have very little fluid in it too (from what people here have said) so it may have similar issues. But on the street and strip, where it won't get so hot for prolonged periods, that might not be an issue either way.

Justin

CaliMR said:
Silky shifts don't necessarily mean it is the best fluid. I know in some trannies, like the Mitsu 6 spd, you could go to thin fluids to smooth the shifts but then they would overheat and grenade on the road course. The Boss tranny may be different, but it does have very little fluid in it too (from what people here have said) so it may have similar issues. But on the street and strip, where it won't get so hot for prolonged periods, that might not be an issue either way.
oh I agree with you on that. seeing how there are people on here that run redline MTL and they track the car and havent had one melt down yet I think it will be safe for me to run. If I dont like it I will just switch back. What is the weight of the fluid from the factory?

Justin

I found this looking through 100's of posts about the Redline MTL Amsoil MTG, Royal purple syncomax first off they all say its better than either of the two the factory has tried. the dual friction is super thin the QC is thick. Redline MTL is in the middle of the two. This was an email back from redline on why they pulled there recommendation

Issues with the 2011-2012 Ford Mustang and its MT-82 6-speed manual transmission have been well documented in the enthusiast forums and in the national media. Ford Motor Company has made responses through official Technical Service Bulletins and now recommends a different fluid for this transmission from what was originally specified when the vehicles were released.

Red Line Synthetic Oil Corporation specializes in having the widest variety of high-quality, fully-synthetic lubricants available and has a particular reputation for resolving shifting issues and wear problems in both automatic and manual transmissions. We have found that many Mustang enthusiasts look to our gear oil and ATF products to solve problems with these MT-82 transmissions--many customers report great success with our MTL and D4 ATF products in these gearboxes. Our MT-90 is in the range of the spec that Ford replaced and some have used that with success, too.

However, we have learned that Ford Motor Company has changed its lubricant recommendation for these vehicles from Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid to Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid. At this time, Red Line does not offer any Dual Clutch-type fluids, therefore we can no longer make an official product recommendation for these vehicles. Red Line bases its product recommendations on the fluids specified by the Original Equipment Manufacturer for any given vehicle.

Red Line wants to make sure that enthusiasts and consumers have full confidence in our products and that our change in recommendations in no way reflects on our product’s performance. We will continue testing products for this application and will follow any further developments regarding Ford’s official product recommendations.Thanks for the support and we hope that you continue to have a great time with these vehicles.

Thank you very much for the help here. We just want to make sure your guys are well informed.

Best,

Cory Burns

TMO Supporting Vendors