The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What shocks to use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monaca Pa
2016 PP GT Eibach sportline springs and BMR front sway bar and went back to PP rear sway bar. MM camber plates. Still have stock PP shocks and struts. Looking to replace with Koni yellow adjustable setup . are they any better than FP shocks and struts? Also should I go with FP springs?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I’m not the most experienced driver here but I was on MM plates, FP dampers and BMR handling springs for the past couple years. They are linear and have the highest rates for our cars before going to coilovers. I think @honeybadger made the switch from FP springs to BMR at some point.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Ford Performance track kit, the entire kit, it's engineered to operate as a kit. Plus lock out or replace all the rubber in the driveline/suspension with high durometer or solid replacements. This absolutely transforms the car. I don't believe in mix 'n match with different companies stuff. What aftermarket company has the engineering/design/prototyping ability that Ford has? It is definitely the easy button.

TX
Agree with the above - to a point. The all FP kit on my GT350 was objectively inferior to replacing the rear springs with BMR. There was a good discussion on this on one of the forums - but basically Ford went to a softer spring in the rear to compliment the kit's thicker sway bar. Supposedly decided to prioritize managing roll more than out right grip with the kit (or something to that nature). The result was the rear squatting too much and causing tons of mid corner understeer once you got on throttle. The BMR springs reduced the amount of squat and made substantial improvements to the mid corner grip for me.

Now - that's for the GT350. I only bring it up as I think it's important to take blanket statements with a grain of salt. I generally agree with the sentiment above. Mixing and matching on your own without having a ton of knowledge on car setup and tuning is likely going to lead to worse overall performance. So going with something like the FP kit is smarter than mix n' match, IMHO.

A real set of coilovers would be even better, tho :)

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
My 2 cents, I have to agree with the no mixing and matching. I would go specifically with a package that fits your budget. I found the PP1 shocks and springs were ok but a huge difference when I went with front coil overs and rear adjustable shocks and springs from Steeda. I went with them for 2 reasons. They race with their products and the lifetime warranty for the coilovers/shocks. They difference was night and day from the PP1 set up. I know some of you are not fond of the Steeda but I have not had any issues with their products and support has been great. If you have a larger budget, then would go with the cortexJRI setup.

Agree with the above - to a point. The all FP kit on my GT350 was objectively inferior to replacing the rear springs with BMR. There was a good discussion on this on one of the forums - but basically Ford went to a softer spring in the rear to compliment the kit's thicker sway bar. Supposedly decided to prioritize managing roll more than out right grip with the kit (or something to that nature). The result was the rear squatting too much and causing tons of mid corner understeer once you got on throttle. The BMR springs reduced the amount of squat and made substantial improvements to the mid corner grip for me.

Now - that's for the GT350. I only bring it up as I think it's important to take blanket statements with a grain of salt. I generally agree with the sentiment above. Mixing and matching on your own without having a ton of knowledge on car setup and tuning is likely going to lead to worse overall performance. So going with something like the FP kit is smarter than mix n' match, IMHO.

A real set of coilovers would be even better, tho :)

I've been experiencing the very same thing in the autocross world. I have to absolutely throw the car into the corner and hope the front sticks and then I still often find myself over-slowing to get the nose to point where I want it under throttle on corner exit.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
A lot of what I'm reading here is driver induced. You can't blame that on the car or the suspension.
For new to the sport drivers it's best to spend money on the driver upgrade and leave the car alone until you have mastered the fundamentals of track driving. Getting one on one coaching from a professional instructor with a proven track record is the best upgrade you can get.
Then, and only then, are you ready to start working on the car.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel