The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What should I buy at the Ford Dealer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a an $800 certificate to spend only at a Ford dealer. My Boss is basically stock except MGW, Whiteline bushing and Blowfish bracket coming soon. I'm not even sure what Ford has to offer that I can use.

Part of it will probably go towards Trackey but they figure it will be $480 here in Canada. I am not sure if there are other aftermarket tunes for less money that might be better. Comments on this are appreciated.

Where to spend the remainder for the best effect?

Do you track your car?
if so, there's the brake cooling duct kit, LS front splitter, and transmission cooler scoop. Or, go on fordracing's site and see if you can find anything.

A couple of oil changes should eat up the rest of it. ;)

F.D. Sako said:
Do you track your car?
if so, there's the brake cooling duct kit, LS front splitter, and transmission cooler scoop. Or, go on fordracing's site and see if you can find anything.
I don't track the car. I had a quick look at the Ford Racing site. I can't really find anything that might be useful for a street driven Boss. I thought maybe a set of lower control arms might help but my research suggests that Cortex will be a better source for suspension components.

I may end up getting nothing but a bunch of oil changes.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Boss0960 said:
I don't track the car. I had a quick look at the Ford Racing site. I can't really find anything that might be useful for a street driven Boss. I thought maybe a set of lower control arms might help but my research suggests that Cortex will be a better source for suspension components.

I may end up getting nothing but a bunch of oil changes.

The rear LCAs are a good idea. If you will lower, springs, LCAs and relocation brackets.

Stock LCA are too flexible and have contribute to wheel hop.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Even on a street car, the trans cooler makes a huge difference in how hot the shifter gets. That plus it's a cheap mod makes it on the list.

John

TMSBOSS said:
The rear LCAs are a good idea. If you will lower, springs, LCAs and relocation brackets.

Stock LCA are too flexible and have contribute to wheel hop.

I looked at the price of the M-5649-S LCA. At $535, it would eat up my whole certificate if I have them install it. I guess my next question becomes which is the better mod choice? Trackey and trans scoop could both be done for the certificate's value or are LCA's a better choice?

I guess you can tell by now that my mod experience is negligible so my pace will be slow, deliberate and hopefully well informed.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Boss0960 said:
I looked at the price of the M-5649-S LCA. At $535, it would eat up my whole certificate if I have them install it. I guess my next question becomes which is the better mod choice? Trackey and trans scoop could both be done for the certificate's value or are LCA's a better choice?

I guess you can tell by now that my mod experience is negligible so my pace will be slow, deliberate and hopefully well informed.

Stay away from spherical joints for the street. The LCAs with the poly bushings tighten up the rear and do no transfer the noise and vibration like the S

About half the cost

I think for you, the track key will make your daily drives alot more fun. so, definitely get the track key. Then, if you aren't really feeling the trans scoop, maybe get them to replace diff fluid and do the TSB for for the expansion valve as well.

TMSBOSS said:
Stay away from spherical joints for the street. The LCAs with the poly bushings tighten up the rear and do no transfer the noise and vibration like the S

About half the cost

Is it the M-5649-R1 that you are suggesting? If they are an upgrade over the stock Boss LCA's, the price is low enough that I can do both the Trackey and LCA's. That sounds like a plan.

I took my Boss to Milan Dragway once. On my first launch, I heard a solid metallic thunk from the rear, as if somebody hit the floor behind the rear seat with a hammer. It happened again on every shift on that run. I'm guessing that it was the UCA hitting the under body. That got me thinking about suspension upgrades but I feel like I'm missing something by not having Trackey already.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Boss0960 said:
Is it the M-5649-R1 that you are suggesting? If they are an upgrade over the stock Boss LCA's, the price is low enough that I can do both the Trackey and LCA's. That sounds like a plan.

I took my Boss to Milan Dragway once. On my first launch, I heard a solid metallic thunk from the rear, as if somebody hit the floor behind the rear seat with a hammer. It happened again on every shift on that run. I'm guessing that it was the UCA hitting the under body. That got me thinking about suspension upgrades but I feel like I'm missing something by not having Trackey already.

Exactly R1

Half the price of the spherical units.

If you will be lowering later, the relocation brackets from FRPP work well.

I would consider lowering the rear only about 1" just to level out the appearance but it's not practical for me to lower the whole car very much.

It looks like Trackey and the R1 control arms is the plan I'm going with. Thanks to everybody for the input.

WinterSucks said:
P springs and track key sounds good. Sup around and get them to match another dealer's price like Tousley Ford.
Dealer prices in Canada are generally outrageous. I'll be lucky if I can get Trackey and lca's for the value of the certificate. I have to use it at a Ford dealer so I might as well take it to the dealer that helped me the most.

TMO Supporting Vendors