The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What tires do you recommend on Apex 18x11 wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello

I am thinking about getting out of my 19 inch wheels and tires, and moving to 18x11 Apex EC7. I have Cortex suspension with the offset front struts.

I currently run 19x11 and 305/30-19 RE71R.

Thanks for your input...

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
If you go want to go wide there are some 200 Treadwear Rated tires out now thanks to the CAM series within SCCA's Solo ( autocross) series. You would need to go with a 25mm spacer up front , but then you have a track car and an autocross machine , all in one. Of course I have two sets of Apex rims, so your last choice sounds sensible to me too, ha.

Hello

I am thinking about getting out of my 19 inch wheels and tires, and moving to 18x11 Apex EC7. I have Cortex suspension with the offset front struts.

I currently run 19x11 and 305/30-19 RE71R.

Thanks for your input...

What is the problem with the RE71? That is a pretty formidable setup for many types of usage. Cons would be heat tolerance on track and noise/ride, but pro is very good speed and feel.

DaveW

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
What is the problem with the RE71? That is a pretty formidable setup for many types of usage. Cons would be heat tolerance on track and noise/ride, but pro is very good speed and feel.

DaveW
Nothing at all!! Its just that Bridgstone does not seem to make them in wider sizes for 18". I think they just go to 285/35-18 which would be a waste of a 18x11 wheel.

IMO, at best, a 315-18 BFG Rival would be equal to a 305-19 RE71 setup in autocross. Worse on street. No idea on heat tolerance. I don't think the BFG 1.5 will really change that equation too much, certainly not the street part.

Now, 18x12 with a 335 BFG might be something to think about....

DaveW

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Given that you live in Austin, TX do you drive it in the rain? If so, then consider the the MP4S or Continental ExtremeContact Sport. Both available in 295/35ZR18.

If you only drive it when dry then the ones Bill recommended are great.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Hi Jeff, thanks for reaching out to us, although in this case "us" is the whole forum apparently. Love all the support fellas!!

18x11" ET52 is a great square setup for track use, but to be honest the street tire selection is a little lacking when compared to 19x11" options. Now, if you have found some 305/35-18 tires that you like, then 18" wheels are the way to go due to reduced costs and weight when compared to their 19" counterparts. The Toyo R888R in 305/35-18 would be a good option for someone who primarily tracks the car but does drive it on the street once in a while. The Hankook RS-4 in 295/40-18 is another one of my favorites for HPDE/light street use. They won't have the ultimate grip that the R888R can offer, but they will be much more consistent throughout a 20 minute session and last MUCH longer as well. The value from the RS-4 is really hard to beat in time-trial events.

If you are doing time trial events and need a ringer 200tw tire, I would use the 315/30-18 BFG Rival S. Similar grip to the RE71R, but in a useful size for an 18x11" wheel.

- Cory

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
As you can see we all have our preferences and we may have all wandered back and forth since you did mention you might get a second set of Apex rims. Bit pricier , but that would be my choice , since then you have a choice of the BFG, Toyo, or Hoosier DOT Comp rubber. In fact ,that would also open up a set of used World Challenge Pirelli slicks that many of us have run. The BFG Rival was thrown in there as there is a strong fight between the RE71R and it , and folks have a very distinct preference for it or the Bridgestone for autocrossing. With the Solo Nationals 60 miles down the road from my home , I can attest to very pointed opinions on which is best , but some of my friends at TireRack have told me the BFG is a bit better on a road course since it does not get greasy as fast as the RE71 ( frankly there are a few more fans of the RE71r if you are mainly an Autorosser ). Since you mentioned road course use and street driving , that was my reason to throw out this alternative. Both of these two 200 Treadwear tires are considered the Kings of the Autocross circuit, but....................get a second set of rims and put a set of Hoosiers or the other DOT Comp tires and really use that 18x11 Apex. Just my humble opinion and plenty of other good ones.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Madhatter , VoodooBoss and I all like the second set idea, and not be contradictory, but the Goodyear 3R and Trofeo have tires that are only 275 and 295 sectional widths respectively in an 18. Would also add the Toyo RR and the BFG gforce R1s, which are also faster than the NT01s - and only slightly behind the R7s in most reports. Many of my buddies who run R7s think the Toyo RRs are just a smidge slower , except in a long race, where they don't get greasy as soon as the Hoosier- hence they stay more consistent. They also report they last a bit longer , but all the serious DOT Comp tires will have shorter track life than the higher treadwear rated street/comp. type rubber.

Given that you live in Austin, TX do you drive it in the rain? If so, then consider the the MP4S or Continental ExtremeContact Sport. Both available in 295/35ZR18.

If you only drive it when dry then the ones Bill recommended are great.

I do not bring the car out of the garage when it is raining. I have a 2002 F350 with 7.3 diesel that enjoys inclement weather.

TMO Supporting Vendors