The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What tires do you recommend on Apex 18x11 wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi Jeff, thanks for reaching out to us, although in this case "us" is the whole forum apparently. Love all the support fellas!!

18x11" ET52 is a great square setup for track use, but to be honest the street tire selection is a little lacking when compared to 19x11" options. Now, if you have found some 305/35-18 tires that you like, then 18" wheels are the way to go due to reduced costs and weight when compared to their 19" counterparts. The Toyo R888R in 305/35-18 would be a good option for someone who primarily tracks the car but does drive it on the street once in a while. The Hankook RS-4 in 295/40-18 is another one of my favorites for HPDE/light street use. They won't have the ultimate grip that the R888R can offer, but they will be much more consistent throughout a 20 minute session and last MUCH longer as well. The value from the RS-4 is really hard to beat in time-trial events.

If you are doing time trial events and need a ringer 200tw tire, I would use the 315/30-18 BFG Rival S. Similar grip to the RE71R, but in a useful size for an 18x11" wheel.

- Cory

My current running wheel and tire set up are the Project 19 inch with the RE71R. In the garage rafters are another 2 Project 19 inch wheels and a set of Sport Cup 2s that might have a single track day remaining in them. The Sport Cup 2s are 305/30-19.

When I mentioned going to a second set, the thought was really just purchasing two mode Project wheels and mounting up the Sport Cup 2s for COTA.

I like the idea of the 18x11 for lighter weight and a little less hot wheels appearance. The plan would still be two sets of wheels and tires, but, initially it would have to be a single set with rubber that could street and road course.

I do have a trailer for towing the Mustang to the track...

Thanks for all of your inputs. I will consider the options and decide my course of action. I figure the sale of all my existing wheels and tires could closely fund my 18x11 wheels and tire purchase.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
My current running wheel and tire set up are the Project 19 inch with the RE71R. In the garage rafters are another 2 Project 19 inch wheels and a set of Sport Cup 2s that might have a single track day remaining in them. The Sport Cup 2s are 305/30-19.

When I mentioned going to a second set, the thought was really just purchasing two mode Project wheels and mounting up the Sport Cup 2s for COTA.

I like the idea of the 18x11 for lighter weight and a little less hot wheels appearance. The plan would still be two sets of wheels and tires, but, initially it would have to be a single set with rubber that could street and road course.

I do have a trailer for towing the Mustang to the track...

Thanks for all of your inputs. I will consider the options and decide my course of action. I figure the sale of all my existing wheels and tires could closely fund my 18x11 wheels and tire purchase.

19x11" offers some great 200TW options, but if you want to run R comps or slicks, 18x11" is the way to go. You can find slicks/R comps for 19s, but they are much more expensive.

Cory

TMO Supporting Vendors