The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Personally for me the first thing that should be on your list is a MGW shifter. Best mod for the boss hands down. wouldnt drive my boss without it. If you can drive a mustang with a barton(aka ford racing) then one with a MGW and pick the one you like better. I like the MGW feel better and its built like a tank. And while you are under the car swap out the fluid for Redline MTL.

After that if you plan to drag race at all I would get a DSS DS not worth much in freeing up HP but it surely wont snap on you like the stocker will.

Now if you are the type to do a handheld tuner and CAI I would go with (your choice of CAI) and a tune from AED and skip the Trackey. (I am not a track guy I am a 1/4 mile guy so take that for what its worth)

After that I would do a set of LCA's and an adjustable UCA and bracket. Makes the car really dig in for traction then.
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,746
2,768
Arizona, USA
Tucson302 said:
AZGT

Do you have the round tips from Roush? If so do they fit the stock valance?

Yes, the round tips, they fit the valance well.
 
Good points and suggestion. The MGW shifter is on my long term list, but I don't drag the car and may take up tracking, not sure yet.

If I go the GT500 muffler route, I could do both the louvers and Roush for about the same price. That might be the better idea. :)

But I also have to consider buying a Prada hand bag or something to keep the girl friend happy. She likes the "hedge hog" louvers. Why she thinks they look like a hedge hog, I do not know.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Darth Boss said:
Good points and suggestion. The MGW shifter is on my long term list, but I don't drag the car and may take up tracking, not sure yet.

If I go the GT500 muffler route, I could do both the louvers and Roush for about the same price. That might be the better idea. :)

But I also have to consider buying a Prada hand bag or something to keep the girl friend happy. She likes the "hedge hog" louvers. Why she thinks they look like a hedge hog, I do not know.
even if you you only drive it on the street a MGW is a MUST IMO. its like the difference between driving on flat tires and inflated tires.
 
DGRacing said:
:mad: :-[

Well, to the OP. I would give this advice.

1) Go with MRT louvers (which I have and mount easily and pivot without damage) if you want a looks upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you like the MRT louvers? How is the quality and how well do the hold up? Easy to do the install by yourself or is it a two person job?

I had originally thought about the louvers that cam on the Parneli Saleen when I had my Shelby, but can't find these anymore.
 
Justin said:
even if you you only drive it on the street a MGW is a MUST IMO. its like the difference between driving on flat tires and inflated tires.

I had almost convinced myself of that after reading all of the posts but I met the head of marketing at a ford dealership who tracks his 2012, he has this shifter. He likes it, but commented he did not like it for daily driving. Kind of skewed my opinion on it.
 
Darth Boss said:
I had almost convinced myself of that after reading all of the posts but I met the head of marketing at a ford dealership who tracks his 2012, he has this shifter. He likes it, but commented he did not like it for daily driving. Kind of skewed my opinion on it.
Im also not a huge fan of the shifter for driving on the street. I'd install a MGW or Barton twin post shifter bracket and see how you like that first.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Darth Boss said:
I had almost convinced myself of that after reading all of the posts but I met the head of marketing at a ford dealership who tracks his 2012, he has this shifter. He likes it, but commented he did not like it for daily driving. Kind of skewed my opinion on it.
I dont know what there isnt to like. The MGW you can adjust it less center spring pressure you can now get a softer twin post bushing. Only downside is it doesnt install itself
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top