The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got an unexpected bonus from work. Going to do the smart think and pay some bills, but I want to treat myself to one thing for my Boss.

Was thinking Roush Exhaust or MRT rear window louvers.

I like the stock exhaust, running no plates and red key. But even my girlfriend says she's not as loud as my last car. She was an 08 GT500 with the KR mufflers. Wish they would fit the Boss. Not only were they the right amount of loud, but had a nice deep lopey burble to them.

I always wanted louvers on my 70 Mustang when I was in high school years ago. Have not seen them in person on a modern stang, but I like the pics.

What do you guys think? Other ideas?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I would go with the GT500 mufflers on the boss.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M5230MGTCA1/2011-Mustang-Gt-50L-Ford-Racing-Gt500-Axle-Back-Exhaust-Kit

Get the quad tip 2013 GT500 mufflers and valance.

CrazyHorse1847 said:
^^I'm with them. Go with the exhaust.

I've got louvers on my '70 and they are a pain. If it wouldn't leave holes in the roof I would pull them off.

What about them is such a pain?

i got the mrt louvers love them, i have had louvers on my 70 boss pastel yellow and no problem or on the 2013 . i also have added them to other peoples cars never had anyone ask me to take them off . the shifter change out is my # 2 thing to do . just my 2 cents note iam going to put a set of mrt louvers on my friends 2012 LS in a couple weeks ......

GottaBoss said:
What about them is such a pain?

Have to unlatch them and lift them up to clean the back glass or dry it after washing the car. The way the top hinges are made/attached you have to be very careful not to lift too far or it will dent the roof. They also make it harder to see out of the back window due to tiny quarter windows and a very slanted back window. Of course most of that applies to the old cars only.

I do like the look of the louvers. Of course I'm one to buy gofast goodies first over something just for looks.

Very interesting points of view like I knew there would be. The GT500 exhaust is an interesting one. I've seen lots of guys do it. To me, the looks of the quad tips is not important. I like it, but am not like wow that's a completely different looking car.

That said, I have not heard a 2013 Shelby. I stopped to look at a used Deep Impact Blue with red stripes the other day. Beautiful color combo. I love my GB but almost wish the boss came in DIB. Should have had them start it up.

For me, the sound of the exhaust is important.

Anyone with MRT louvers have any issues like the old 70s other than the washing and cleaning complexity?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have the Roush exhaust and love it; I've heard the 2013 GT500 quad-tip mufflers in-person and they sound pretty damn good for a factory muffler. Either way works but you'll have to get the Shelby lower valance for the quad-tips.

CrazyHorse1847 said:
Have to unlatch them and lift them up to clean the back glass or dry it after washing the car. The way the top hinges are made/attached you have to be very careful not to lift too far or it will dent the roof. They also make it harder to see out of the back window due to tiny quarter windows and a very slanted back window. Of course most of that applies to the old cars only.

I do like the look of the louvers. Of course I'm one to buy gofast goodies first over something just for looks.

Which doesn't really apply to the original poster, does it? lol ???

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
ArizonaGT said:
I have the Roush exhaust and love it; I've heard the 2013 GT500 quad-tip mufflers in-person and they sound pretty damn good for a factory muffler. Either way works but you'll have to get the Shelby lower valance for the quad-tips.

AZGT

Do you have the round tips from Roush? If so do they fit the stock valance?

DGRacing said:
Which doesn't really apply to the original poster, does it? lol ???

Nope. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. If you will look at my first post I replied with what I would do. Then added a short comment about the louvers on my '70. The second post was in response to someone elses question.

What part of your post was offering advice or any help to the original poster? ::)

:mad: :-[

Well, to the OP. I would give this advice.

1) Go with MRT louvers (which I have and mount easily and pivot without damage) if you want a looks upgrade.
2) GT500 mufflers (which I also have) if you want a sound and slight performance upgrade
3) Ford Racing/Barton shifter if you want a driving performance/feel upgrade

TMO Supporting Vendors