The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What to do, crossroads for what cars to own

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well a little update. Ford dealer got back to me, and it seems like Canada won't be getting the handling package, and wow its not cheap. So even without that option (which is 3500 USD I believe) the car is 75k(CAD) MSRP. That would put it north of 80K with taxes.

So not worth it IMO. Hell its more expensive then a used GT350.

So its back to the drawing board.

Keep the mustang,(going to do this for at least 1 year, and do some minor mods)

Then start to plan
get a 5.0 s197, or s550 (so heavy tho)
Cayman (I think I would miss a v8)
C5 zo6 or c6 Z06 (but then I'm a corvette guy and the wife hates those cars)

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Base S550 is not grossly heavy, it's the luxo barges all optioned out that are turds. I had an '11 GT I bought used, it was all optioned out including leather. Boom box in the trunk alone was a big boat anchor weight. That thing was far heavier than my base '16 PP1 S550 and it drove like it was. Look for a bare bones 300A GT with PP1, hella good foundation to start from and it will not be expensive, no one wants a stripper these days.

Ford's stuff says '11 GT curb weight 3620 lbs (my loaded barge was closer to 3900), '16 GT 3705 lbs. Pretty easy to get rid of that difference.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel