The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What to do, crossroads for what cars to own

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello everyone,

Hopefully this post isn't as chaotic as my brain. But I am trying to decide on what to do with respect to the vehicles I own/will own. Cant decide on what's the best option. This forum seems to have people who have a lot of track experience with their own cars and racing. I respect these opinion more than the typical car meet/show person.

Background info: Car would be driven summer only. Currently do not have a second car and share one with the wife. Live in a small town our commute to work is 15-20mins. Auto-x about 8 times a year, maybe 1 - 2 track days a year. Auto-x courses here a very small due to small parking lots available. (one event a year at an old runway)

Current 2006 Mustang GT (140,000 KM)
Lots of cosmetic modifications, still get lots of looks and compliments for it.
Koni adjustable shocks
Eibach springs
Have RE-71's/A7's on 18" drifts for Auto-X

Option A:

Keep the 2006 GT, Add, brembo brake upgrade, CC plates, 1 Piece D/S, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, Long Tube Header, Sparco Seat. (Nervous about putting 5-10K into a car thats not worth more than 15K)

Get a Truck (f150/Tundra or Lexus GX) as daily and if need be Tow rig for long drives to track events.

Total Cost ~35K no Debt

Option B:

New Mach 1, Fighter Jet Grey, Handling package (would cruise around and not auto-x as much or as hard, No track days)

Cheap car (VW hatchback, Toyota Hatchback etc) to use during winter and daily

Total Cost 70K, ~35 Debt

Option C: (I like to call crazy Ivan)

Sell the 2006,

Nicer Truck (Tundra or Lexus GX/LX)

NA/NB Miata, Autox and track car.

Total Cost 35-40K no debt

Then 3-5 years later get a used s550 GT as a cruising car.

Attached for fun is a photo of the 2006 GT normally, and one when confidence exceeded adhesion and had a off in the last event (no damage or scratches amazingly)Mustang with Drifts.jpgMustang Auto-X off.jpg

Ha,

those were some nice cold RE-71's and a not so securely placed foot on a brake pedal after moving around so much due to those oh so comfy leather recliner style OEM seats.

Thanks for the responses.

In the V6L
How's this sound:

- swap out the Eibach springs for a set of H&R Race springs; install CC plates. Your Koni's may be beyond their best before date as well - worth looking into.
- put better front rotors on it, upgrade pads, but don't mess with the hydraulics - you didn't say you had a braking problem, and the less you change the better.
- get a plug-in hybrid for the commute. Used Dodge's are well priced, or so I've heard.

This will give you a low-cost bump in handling while you're piling up the cash to buy a 2022 GT500.

Or, maybe I'm too conservative.

How's this sound:

- swap out the Eibach springs for a set of H&R Race springs; install CC plates. Your Koni's may be beyond their best before date as well - worth looking into.
- put better front rotors on it, upgrade pads, but don't mess with the hydraulics - you didn't say you had a braking problem, and the less you change the better.
- get a plug-in hybrid for the commute. Used Dodge's are well priced, or so I've heard.

This will give you a low-cost bump in handling while you're piling up the cash to buy a 2022 GT500.

Or, maybe I'm too conservative.
Interesting idea.

I like the Mach as it’s a gt350 light. (Reliable 5.0 motor, tremec tranny, all the coolers) I just wonder how “limited” they will be, will they sit on lots or will they go quickly, and become the next Boss 302 in 10 years

Gt500 is a solid nope as it’s auto. GT350 scare me with the voodoo motor (warented or not, still scares me)

I guess one idea would be, cheap truck with the Mach 1. Then in a few years Miata as auto-x/track car. (Not scared if I break it or have a off at the track then)

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Ford invited me to drive the GT500 on track. I went of course. I had the same notion regarding an auto on track. I was pleasantly surprised how well the trans shifted. It shifted as if I was shifting a manual up AND down.

Now.... All we need to do is win the lottery and we are in!! Option 4 as recommended by JAJ

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I will admit having been in the automotive business for over 30 years , my problem was being in the " Candy Store " hence I am biased. Part of my bias stems from helping at a couple of tracks, racing and Instructing, and I am constantly aware that as vehicles evolve one can spend an enormous amount of moolah to get an older model up to snuff. The current Mach 1 will destroy many an older Stang one has spent a mother lode of money on for options - likely it still will not be as quick. The money aspect is relevant since the older vehicle will be only be worth a small amount more than stock when all the mods are added up. This is a reality check since you customized to your specs and when selling you are looking for your mental twin to purchase. In many cases a Dealer will view it worth even less, as an extended service contract can not be offered for some piece of mind. Fortunately, I worked at a Dealer who saw some value in upgrades, but mods still only offer a small uptick. So , I often moved upward buying a new machine, since I figured the extra 5-10K ,or whatever I would spend, would move me into more technology. So I like numero dos for your next move and even though I am out of the business I can send you to the right folks if interested? Drop me a note, I have helped a bunch of Trackratzzzz on TMO.

PS - please don't view the fact that I have a full race Boss S , as that is another level of sickness and it entails completely different psychological issues, ha,ha.

OP - I love how sleek your '06 is! Superb looking. There doesn't seem to be a right or wrong answer because every proposed solution is fun in it's own way.

You do mention a Boss 302 and I still think it's one of the coolest and most fun cars ever put on the market. They seem to have settled in price, too, so not much downside in terms of depreciation (and they didn't depreciate like regular Coyote 5.0s anyway). And the Bosses need some TLC to get them 'right' (better clutch being Number 1) so if you like tinkering, they will satisfy that itch.

Otherwise yeah the Mach 1 will be a pretty tasty option if you can swing it, especially if you can get a deal on one.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
For small autocross courses, I'd take a Miata over a Mustang every day. Don't know what classing/mods are like north of the border, but in SCCA terms, keep it in Street or Street Touring, save money on mods, and you can throw good snow tires on and drive all year. I drove an NB Sport year-round in CT for 10 years, with steelies and cheap Pirelli 185/65-15 snows for winter - the skinny tall tire cuts through snow better and raises the car a bit; though you can still have the air dam act as a snowplow in deeper stuff. If you want more power and don't worry about classing, start with a Mazdaspeed and look at adding the Flyin' Miata Little Enchilada kit. And a good rollbar.

A used Fiesta ST also works well on tight courses, is a great all-weather commuter car, and is extremely competitive in SCCA H Street. Get the Recaro seats. Not as cheap as a used Miata, but much more useful.

The tow vehicle thread here has many votes for a used F-150 with the 3.5 ecoboost engine. Depending on trim, it can make a nice daily and a good hauler. For only towing, 2WD may get a few extra mpg, but you probably want 4WD in your area as a daily driver.

Pick your poison / comfort level of one of these:
NA/NB Miata - 5-8K; Mazdspeed w/ LIttle Encilada - 12-15K; used Fiesta ST - 15-18K
Then:
Either keep the 2006 as-is for a weekend cruiser - with the age & mileage, you won't get much on trade-in.
Or, get a cheap tow vehicle and turn the 2006 into an American Iron / Spec Mustang track car. Always pick a target class first, then choose your mods for the class.
And then:
Wait 5-7 years until the Mach 1 (with Handling Package, of course) used market has stabilized and buy one after someone else has taken the hit on dealer markup and depreciation.

From the press release: "Mach 1 teams earned back-to-back SCCA Manufacturer’s Rally Championships in 1969 and 1970."
So the Boss 302 was the race-version Mustang, used in Trans Am, and the Mach 1 was the rally version Mustang? :eek:

Mach 1 over all the other Mustang options.

IMG_8138.JPG

Mach 1 over all the other Mustang options.

View attachment 58273

DAT ASS, thats selling it for me.

I think I will go the Mach 1 route. Make the mundane drives to work with either sharing a car, or cheap car for now. Then eventually truck and probably a track beater Miata for fun. The Mach will be for big tracks but not pushing too hard and lots of cursing and having fun.

Bill P.'s input to me makes the most sense, I would do some of the modification to the car but not all, there are no local tuners here and really I would be pushing 75% of the cars worth in mods. The Mach will be/should be all I would want and all my talent allows for now. With warranty, no major mods needed. Engineered by Ford and factory fast for me means a lot.

Thanks everyone for input. I stopped by a local dealer here and they don't think it will be an issue with getting one. Once the prices comes out I will do some more shopping around.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
DAT ASS, thats selling it for me.
You know, my biggest complaint about my '13 Boss is the stupid tail light design. I much prefer the 05-09 design for the S197, and the S550 design is really nice. Both recall the original 60's 3-bar pattern. The 2010-14 designs just look too blocky and wierd with the taper - like they're sqinting.

You know, my biggest complaint about my '13 Boss is the stupid tail light design. I much prefer the 05-09 design for the S197, and the S550 design is really nice. Both recall the original 60's 3-bar pattern. The 2010-14 designs just look too blocky and wierd with the taper - like they're sqinting.
Don't sweat it Dave...Only Chevys have to see them anyway.....I don't mind the tail lites on my "12 Boss, but like the ones better on the newer stangs.. Son is like you and prefers the 05-09 design.....

Option B all the way !! Ya only live once! Interest rates are low right now, just add to the line of credit..... Hehehe
Where in Ontario are you?

Way up North, Thunder Bay. So closest track time would be either Gimli MB or all the way to TMP.

I take it your in ON as well

TMO Supporting Vendors