The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What to do when it's less than 40 degrees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Not all max summer tires are created equal. The Pirellis are R-comps. I would NOT use them in less than 4O degrees. Pirelli is clear that we should not. At 30 degrees u can crack the rubber.

GA
PeteInCT said:
Not all max summer tires are created equal. The Pirellis are R-comps. I would NOT use them in less than 4O degrees. Pirelli is clear that we should not. At 30 degrees u can crack the rubber.

I believe the treadwear is a clue. The street Boss P Zeros (which also came on my BBP GT) is 220, and the Corzas on the LS is 60. I would definitely not drive an LS in the cold weather on the stock tires. I am going to keep driving on my P Zeros and take it very slow and leave extra room to stop during the winter; that's what everyone else I talk to down here does. When these wear out I will probably get all seasons and another set of wheels and summer tires for the track.

Correct, the Laguna Seca stock tires are R-compound and are not to be subjected to below 32 degrees F and definitely should not be driven on in freezing temps as they can crack and fail catastrophically. The regular Boss 302 stock tires are not r-compound but are intended for temps above 40 degrees for good traction performance. Zwede is accurate in the assessment that you won't fly off into oblivion if you drive on them like the blue hairs from Iowan in their Buick Regals. ;)

5 DOT 0 said:
302BOB said:
zwede, Are you noticing any loss of grip when the outside temp is below 30 degrees? I was thinking 35/40 degrees would be the cutoff temp for taking my Boss out.
I notice diminished grip starting in the mid 50's on the stock Pirelli's.
I felt the same thing one of the colder morning here last week. Low 50's and the car hopped away from at light near the house, same day a friend with the LS said the same thing.

To clarify: I have the regular Boss. I agree that I'd think twice about driving on R-compound tires in freezing temps.

Was driving this evening, about 44 degrees. Accelerated HARD in 1st, shifting in to 2nd and again HARD acceleration..... I would swear the TC did not turn on! I checked to make sure I had not turned it off by accident, and had not. 2nd gear was definitely wheel spin, and a little squirrelly. It was pretty interesting. Also, not an LS Boss.

I finally got to drive mine this am, in East Texas its been between 24 degrees, and 32 degrees every monring but this one. It was near 42, and then got to 45 shortly thereafter.
We usually do not have this problem. I took it slow, no problems.

I'm loving the cool weather here in Louisiana. It was over 100 almost every day this summer. Today it was 36 when I woke up with a high of 60. Only thing I don't like about the real cool weather is the wheel hop!!!

TMO Supporting Vendors