The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What to do when it's less than 40 degrees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
jec246 said:
PJWANNABE said:
The 19" Brembo package wheels on my GT are summer only tires, which I think the same ones as on the street Boss. I have been thinking about this too- I may pick up some 18" GT500 wheels and put all-seasons on them for the winter months.

Would the change effect the ride much? I may look into this as well if that change is negligible. I have been looking at the "American Racing Villain" Wheels. They seem like they would look pretty nice and was considering getting the same size all around for rotation purposes. Just curious if the 18s would work.

Untitled.jpg

18" wheels and tires would probably improve your daily driving ride since you would have more sidewall. If the overall diameter of the tire is about the same it won't affect the ride height or speedo. Finding rims to fit over the Brembos can be a bit tricky.

GA
I recommend getting an additional set of rims for all-seasons. You don't want the dealer or tire place handling those painted rims any more than they have to. I had them on my Bullitt and it was scary when it was tire time.

I ordered a set of 18" BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S (255/45ZR18) and Sport Edition F10 Silver Painted wheels (18X8) from Tire Rack to run here in MD during cold weather. Total cost including TPMS and shipping for all 4 was about $1600. Drove the Pirelli's at a temp of about 40 degrees a week ago and they felt hard and flat spotted until they warmed up and the temp got to about 50 degrees. I don't need winter tires here, but all-seasons will get me through the winter.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Running R-Comps in less than 40 degrees isn't a good idea - who ever said the rubber turns to hockey pucks is 100% correct. Get a set of Pirelli WInter SottoZero's.

Instead of buying new rims and tires, i'm going w/ Continental Extreme dw's once I wear out the Pirellis. They have a AA traction rating like the Pirellis and a tread wear life of 340 vs. 220 for the Pirellis, and they're all seasons. Not tracking mine anyway.

I have a set of 18" Steeda wheels and I'm thinking of putting some other tires on but not sure what to use. Any thoughts? Also what are you guys doing about the inflation sensors?

PeteInCT said:
Running R-Comps in less than 40 degrees isn't a good idea - who ever said the rubber turns to hockey pucks is 100% correct. Get a set of Pirelli WInter SottoZero's.
Just to clarify, most of the guys posting have regular Boss 302s and those Pirellis are not R-compound tires. The Laguna Seca is standard with the PZero Corsas which are an R-compound tire. R-compound tires MUST ABSOLUTELY NOT BE DRIVEN BELOW FREEZING OR THEY WILL CRACK. In addition to that you don't want to even store them below freezing. Check the manufacturers' instructions for handling in cold temperatures.

That said, it was 28 degrees when I drove my Boss to work this morning. I spun 8 times then launched into the treetops. :p It's 51 degrees and sunny at noon today so I'm sneaking in a few extra days before putting it away for the winter. I wouldn't recommend driving aggressively in sub-40 temps, but as long as it's DRY you can drive it like grandma. I'm thinking things could get ugly in a hurry if there's any ice on the road.

jec246

cloud9 said:
PeteInCT said:
Just to clarify, most of the guys posting have regular Boss 302s and those Pirellis are not R-compound tires. The Laguna Seca is standard with the PZero Corsas which are an R-compound tire. R-compound tires MUST ABSOLUTELY NOT BE DRIVEN BELOW FREEZING OR THEY WILL CRACK. In addition to that you don't want to even store them below freezing. Check the manufacturers' instructions for handling in cold temperatures.

That said, it was 28 degrees when I drove my Boss to work this morning. I spun 8 times then launched into the treetops. :p It's 51 degrees and sunny at noon today so I'm sneaking in a few extra days before putting it away for the winter. I wouldn't recommend driving aggressively in sub-40 temps, but as long as it's DRY you can drive it like grandma. I'm thinking things could get ugly in a hurry if there's any ice on the road.

I'm glad you pointed that out. That means I have a little longer to get more tires. Thanks!

Point well taken and that is why I want to put on a different set of tires. I won't drive it much but mine is an LS and got stuck in the rain this summer and was not fun. I have a set of 18" wheels and am going to put a regular set of tires on for the winter and put the Pirellis in a nice warm garage. Anyone replacing their tires I was wondering what they did about the inflation sensors. It seems to me that if you don't have them in the tire all you get is an error code.

If you don't put TPMS sensors in your new wheels, you'll get a yellow light on the bottom of the speedo and a message in the message center saying TMPS SENSOR FAULT that you can clear by hitting the reset button. You can buy a TPMS kit if you don't want the messages:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-tpms-sensors.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=2011%2Bmustang%2Btpms&utm_campaign=S%2B-%2BWheel%2BAccessories&pcrid=7080029165&mkwid=s1xoiF1tA&mkw=2011%20mustang%20TPMS&pmt=b&placement=&gclid=CLiv5OP6tqwCFcvJKgodpEcuHw

The 18" wheels and tires I ordered from Tire Rack had TPMS sensors installed and the tool to active them was included - cost about $40. It took all of about 5 minutes for the mechanic to activate them once the system was put in learn mode. I have the instructions and they take several steps, but are not that complicated.

MDBoiler- What Rims and tires did you get? I was looking for some for the winter and was wondering about brake caliper clearance. Have also heard from some on here that with the Base Boss it was not 100% necessary to change out for less than 40 degrees, but then, there's that note on the door.........

I won't be driving in any snow or ice at any time!

26 degrees here today and sunny. I'm driving daily until there is snow on the ground. Not planning to do anything crazy unless it is 50 + and even then would not push it too hard. But, as long as the pavement is dry I don't expect any problems. I think for the standard (not LS) Boss tires, traction is the main issue at low temps.

19 this morning so drove the pickup. We're expecting a high of 40. Getting the Boss at noon then heading to the dealer for a crank tone ring relearn software update to hopefully eliminate the CELs on track.

Cloud9, I have no idea what you were saying about CELs. I guess me and Bill Cosby will just drive them. I am putting on 18" wheels with Continental DW tires. Anyone have any experience with them. Put the Pirellis in the warm garage for the winter.

I live in Saskatchewan Canada so it was put away before i could get my track key done. I fill the tank, put fuel stablizer in it lower the window a smidge and disconnect the battery put my cover on and walk away.

TMO Supporting Vendors