The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What to do when it's less than 40 degrees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I will be putting mine in storage in the next couple of weeks but with the tires on the LS they are notsupposed be stored at less than 40 degrees....more or less depending on who you talk to. So I went to the local salvage yard and picked up a set of wheels and tires off a 2010 (Aluminum wheels) and the car only had 25,000 miles. Had to pay $400.00 juwst so I could store the car for the winter.

Whoever compared the tires to hockey pucks is spot on when it gets into the low 40's and this is with the standard Pirellis. The tires have much more grip in the rain than they do in the dry when it gets that cold. Be very careful driving and leave the traction and stability controls fully on if you do drive yours when it gets that cold.

jec246

MDBoiler said:
Boss 1289 - I sent you a personal message to answer your question.

Can you shoot me a message too? I'm still shopping around for mine. Thanks in advance!

Here are the wheels I am using and I put a red stripe around the edge and it looks good.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-black-pentar-wheels-for-ford-mustang.html

GotCurvz said:
Whoever compared the tires to hockey pucks is spot on when it gets into the low 40's and this is with the standard Pirellis. The tires have much more grip in the rain than they do in the dry when it gets that cold. Be very careful driving and leave the traction and stability controls fully on if you do drive yours when it gets that cold.
Exactly right - 36 degrees on way to work this morning. Hit the gas a bit too much taking a left at the stop light and the rear end was all over the place on perfectly dry pavement. Do be careful and ditto what she says!

98RedGT

2012 #552
are there any issues with driving on these tires in street use when it's below 40 degrees? will it ruin the tires or is it just a matter or no grip?

I am also very concerned about these tires myself as the cold air starts to filter in around CT. From what I've been reading, the more the temperature drops below 40 degrees, the less grip you will be getting from these summer tires (to put it mildly). It is a given they should NEVER be driven on ice or snow!!! I keep my BOSS in a garage that never goes below 55 degrees in the winter, so I am hoping I will be able to take my BOSS out this winter for short runs as long as the outside (daytime sunny) temp is over 30 degrees & the road is dry. I realize driving in colder temps than that would really not be advisable in that the tire may actually come off the rim in extreme cold. I wish Ford would have offered a choice of either summer tires or all seasons from the get go. For what it's worth....I Was never told about summer tires when I bought my BOSS.....only learned about them here on this forum.

It's been getting in the 30's in the mornings here in central TX and I still drive to work, but I go easy on the car obviously.

This will be the only winter the car will see. In Feb the car will be put in storage for a year, then shipped to Germany, where I will have a cheap beater to drive in the winter, and when I return to the states after a few years, I'll have an F-150 for a DD.

jimprw said:
GotCurvz said:
Exactly right - 36 degrees on way to work this morning. Hit the gas a bit to much taking a left at the stop light and the rear end was all over the place on perfectly dry pavement. Do be careful and ditto what she says!
About 38 deg this morning. Running Yokohama Advan Neova AD08s...made a right turn and got stuck behind a slow driver in my lane. Foolishly nailed it in 2nd to get around and was only saved by AdvanceTrac...got a tad sideways. Got a huge thumbs up and big grin from the kid in the hopped up Civic who was behind me when he stopped next to me at the light. I think he figured I did it on purpose...lol!

Im with a ford Dealership here in Canada and we are getting a silver LS in December it could be -20 celcius here that day and they will have to drive the car off the truck and to our yard. what im hearing is that our tires will be ruined just rolloing in to the showroom????? is that correct.

rarestang said:
Im with a ford Dealership here in Canada and we are getting a silver LS in December it could be -20 celcius here that day and they will have to drive the car off the truck and to our yard. what im hearing is that our tires will be ruined just rolloing in to the showroom????? is that correct.
I'd check with Ford for sure, but Hoosier, Nitto and Toyo all say DO NOT DRIVE the car below freezing, nor should the tires even be stored below freezing. I haven't seen anything specifically on the Pirelli Pzero Corsas, but they are an R-compound tire.

Nitto's guidelines are here:

NTSD-07-001 August 3, 2007
Recommendations on the
Proper Use, Handling, and Storage of Nitto Tires
This advisory applies only to the following products:
All NT555R
All NT555RII
All NT01
This advisory addresses the proper storage of these tires in colder climates. As seen in the picture below, tires
stored and operated at sub-freezing temperatures, i.e., at or below 32°F (0°C), will lose rubber compound flexibility
and may experience cracking when operated under such conditions.

CAUTION!
The rubber compounds used in these tires have unique properties that, when compared to other tires, can cause
them to lose some of their flexibility when stored and operated at sub-freezing temperatures. This loss in flexibility
can lead to potential cracking and other damage to the tire.
TO MINIMIZE THE CHANCES OF THIS HAPPENING, CONSUMERS AND INSTALLERS ARE ADVISED TO
FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS DURING SUB-FREEZING CONDITIONS:
1. Do not operate the car with these tires, as the tires may suddenly fail.
2. Always store these tires indoors at temperatures above 32°F (0°C).
3. Before mounting or dismounting, store these tires for at least 24 hours in a temperature-controlled
environment of 68°F (20°C) or warmer.
4. Remove these tires from the vehicle and deflate to half the normal air pressure during prolonged periods of
non-use or storage.
5. Do not move a car that is in storage with these tires, as the tires may crack.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I would not drive it at 4 below zero (Fahrenheit) for sure. Also, storage with the tires mounted on the car for months at a time will create flat spots on the R-Comp Pirelli's.

To address this (WTF - it's only money ;D ) I purchased a second set of Ford Racing wheels and a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW as wet tires as well as for winter storage of the LS in the garage. Michelin Pilot Super Sports were choice #1 but they don't make the right size for the Boss. The Ford racing wheels aren't the lightest option but they are the same as the red OEM wheels and are less than $300 each. The lightweight Ford racing wheels were over $1000 I believe, too much for my blood....

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel