The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What to do when it's less than 40 degrees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLAZN BOSS

My Boss isn't a daily driver but i guess when it turns colder than 40 degrees I'll have to put it away ....for four months???????? Anybody else thinking ahead?...........what about the guys that are waiting for 4th qtr cars......they will be delivered in Dec!!!!!! How will they get home??? I'm cosidering going to new takeoff .com and buying some GT wheels and tires.

BLAZN BOSS

But if you have the factory tires you cant drive a Boss.

I'm in Ct, & I plan on taking my Boss out once & a while this winter. As long as it's a nice dry, sunny day, with the temperature at least 25 to 30 degrees I think I'll be alright. Those summer tires are definitely not for snow or rain when the temp is below 40 degrees. IF anyone has experience with these summer tires , please chime in.

GA
The 19" Brembo package wheels on my GT are summer only tires, which I think the same ones as on the street Boss. I have been thinking about this too- I may pick up some 18" GT500 wheels and put all-seasons on them for the winter months.

Haven't driven in below 40 degree temps with this brand of tire, but have driven on cold days with other summer-only tires (555's) You do not have the grip as on a warm day, but still not dangerous as long as you take it easy. I will take mine out on occasion this winter on dry, sunny days around the block or so.
Do not drive in any snow or ice!

BLAZN BOSS

Pirelli says abolutly not.............tires are like plastic and may even slip on the rim. I dont think ford would waste their time with the door jamb sticker if it wont a threat.

PJWANNABE said:
The 19" Brembo package wheels on my GT are summer only tires, which I think the same ones as on the street Boss. I have been thinking about this too- I may pick up some 18" GT500 wheels and put all-seasons on them for the winter months.

You'd be better off buying snow tires for the winter months. All seasons do not have the traction and control of snow tires. Being a rear wheel drive also makes it even more important to put snow tires on.

GA
Whammer said:
PJWANNABE said:

You'd be better off buying snow tires for the winter months. All seasons do not have the traction and control of snow tires. Being a rear wheel drive also makes it even more important to put snow tires on.

I'll shop around and see which way would be best to go. We get very little slow in Atlanta, so all-seasons would probably be better. I would like high performance all-seasons since there are track events in Nov and Dec that I like to run in. I will definitely have to get 18" trims to get more choices in tires.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
It was 38* this morning when I drove my son to school in the Boss. The boss snap-oversteered while I was backing out of the driveway and popped into the 5th dimension where I almost ran over Capt. Kirk.

Great googly-moogly Batman!

::)

GA
It can get into the single digits down here, but the temp is mostly in the teens during the coldest part of the winter. When I lived in NYC it would have been snow tires for sure. But then again I wouldn't have a car like this there either- I would be driving a beater. ;)

I live in Dallas so we don't see very many days below 40 degrees but I always park mine during any inclement weather. Come winter I'm sure that I will bring it out on sunny days but will be cautions of the temp.

BTW, my 91' GT has summer only tires on it and I haven't had any issues with them providing good grip when cold out, but it is certainly better when the temps go up.

Mine will stay in the garage unless it is a nice dry sunny day (which happens alot here), no plans to change tires. If I take it out on one of those days it will be to simply drive it a little and not to race around.

Whammer said:
Atlanta!??? Well how cold can it really get? Try living in Canada my friend!

This is picture from FL last winter. Yes that is ice on my truck, it was cold - very cold! I am not sure anyone really knows what at what temp ice forms but it was cold (did I mention that already?)
CIMG0351.png
Yep only someone from FL would take a picture of frost ;D

jec246

PJWANNABE said:

Would the change effect the ride much? I may look into this as well if that change is negligible. I have been looking at the "American Racing Villain" Wheels. They seem like they would look pretty nice and was considering getting the same size all around for rotation purposes. Just curious if the 18s would work.

Untitled.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors