The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What to use to protect autographs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had Parnelli Jones autograph my fuse box cover along with a few other Boss Drivers.
What should i use to protect them. Rattle can matte clear coat? or what do you think?
Thanks

If it was me, I would buy a new cover (can't be expensive) and store or display the autographed one. I wouldn't want to subject it to all the heat in there. And anything you spray might crack, de-laminate and lift the signature, or dissolve or discolor it. You could still take it out for car shows and it will always stay clean. I would definitely test-spray some other plastic in there first and see what happens to it as it ages and bakes.

Grant 302 said:
^My thoughts exactly. I have his signature on an Airaid intake and I wouldn't leave it on for anything but show.
Mine's on all the time and so far it's holding up fine.

Yeah, it's a tough one.
I got my bike tank signed and was going through a mission on figuring out how to protect it. Originally wanted to clear coat over it but the answer I got was if they didn't prep the surface (clean and sand it) the clear could fisheye and/or flake off. So option 2:
Thought about getting a piece of clear 3m to put over it but have been told the ink can get sucked up into the plastic and it can also yellow. Soooooo........ I left it bare and will enjoy it till it fades out I guess.
I suggest getting another cover as well.

TMO Supporting Vendors