The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What trailers are you guys using to tow your Boss 302?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: What trailers are you guys using to tow your Boss 302?

blk12svt said:
I have a 20' United slope nose with optional $300 escape door. At least it was $300 in 2011..
Besides Escape, are the inner fenders low enough to open the door to get out?.
This summer im gonna build up drivers side floor, im about 1/4 from being able to open door to get out of car after pulling in.

The distance from the floor up to the bottom of the escape door opening is 7". The inner fenders are about 5 1/2" tall. I spent a year pondering which one to buy and must have looked at every trailer manufactured before making my decision and the door clearance was one of the main selling points for me in addition to the slope nose thing, which according to the salesman, will save 2-3 miles per gallon over pulling a conventional box type trailer. I haven't used mine enough yet to confirm that claim but it only makes sense it would with less wind resistance. United also makes a box type and I would assume the escape door would be dimensionally the same.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
20' Aluma tilt. I added workbox, spare tire, gas cans. This one, like mine, has the larger wheels/tires, 4500 lb torsen axles, etc.

http://www.thetrailerdepot.com/_images.php?id=7290&item=1740

t141217_Aluma8220H-TILT.JPG

I have an open Trailerman, 18' deck, 10,000 lbs, rear ramps, 9000k winch, aluminum box for straps etc on the front. I need an open trailer for my other equipment. One picture with the 2013 LS and the other with my barn find 68 GT500 last Oct. One thing to keep in mind is that the cars are low and you might need additional blocking to get on the ramps. I take 12' 2x12's when I trailer the car. An enclosed trailer would not need those and you have more security.
2013BOSS302LS007_zps59df6b08.jpg
GT500barnfind10-3-12051_zps538301dd.jpg

Bossneeds said:
I have an open Trailerman, 18' deck, 10,000 lbs, rear ramps, 9000k winch, aluminum box for straps etc on the front. I need an open trailer for my other equipment. One picture with the 2013 LS and the other with my barn find 68 GT500 last Oct. One thing to keep in mind is that the cars are low and you might need additional blocking to get on the ramps. I take 12' 2x12's when I trailer the car. An enclosed trailer would not need those and you have more security.

What would also help with teh low front end of the Boss is if you had the 4" beavertail on the back of the trailer instead of 2". It makes the angle on the rear of the trailer less steep.

drano38

Wayne
I've got an open trailer, and it works very well.
I fits in my garage for storage while not in use, so less paint and wiring aging.
One thing to check for is being able to open the car door once loaded on the trailer. A lot of fenders are too high. Some are removable--but steel ones are heavy. My trailer was custom made, and the fenders were welded on lower than normal, so the door clears them by a couple inches, but the fenders don't hit tires under load or suspension movement.
Also pay attention to axle ratings. You want them rated close to your load weight. If the trailer is rated for way more than your car's weight, the suspension will ride like a rock, and every minor road bump will jar the trailer/car. This is one case where bigger isn't better.
Here's my trailer.
20120726121137756.jpg

i currently have an 18 ft open decked trailer that tows really well (it is for a trail only jeep). I am thinking of upgrading to a 20-24ft enclosed (potentially with a little extra height added to accomodate the jeep as well). What kind of prices did you guys pay for your enclosed versions?

Ebay prices range from 4k-10k for 20ft enclosed, i recognize that gvwr, brakes, etc all come into play...and you get what you pay for...but that is a pretty big spread.

Any must have options (escape door looks nice).

Thanks!

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
sugugeru.jpg
Heres my indoor storage.

I bought my enclosed. trailer for $4,000 used, came with Winch and all interior extra lighting for generator,
2009 20ft, Torsen axels.

I bought mine new in August of 2011 for $8000 plus $500 delivered right to my door. Could have picked it up myself as it was built in Northern Indiana, about 250 miles north of me, but I figured it was worh $500 to eliminate that hassle.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
blk12svt said:
I bought mine new in August of 2011 for $8000 plus $500 delivered right to my door. Could have picked it up myself as it was built in Northern Indiana, about 250 miles north of me, but I figured it was worh $500 to eliminate that hassle.

Did you say $8000 ?

It was actually $7995 but I rounded it off. Dealer Was Trailer World in Bowling Green, Kentucky. No KY sales tax if you pick it up yourself or have it delivered. Had to pay Illinois sales tax when I licensed it.

I had originally intended to buy a Pace or Haulmark but was told they weren't the trailer they use to be after one of Warren Buffets Berkshire Hathaway companies bought both companies and the accountants had gutted them. I had never heard of United previously but seems to be a nice, well built, trailer to me.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
U-haul baby :) Gotta get the AT-W though or the car won't physically fit on the trailer.

My goal is to have an aluminum trailer (aka Pete) so I can keep my Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee happy... that 2100# U-haul is eating my lunch on the hills (what I call those snow-capped things around here).

TMO Supporting Vendors