The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What tune to use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just purchased my 12' Boss about a week ago and I'm new to the forum. I lack the knowledge about the available tune/tuners for our cars. Does anyone have some suggestions? I have the track key and a JLT CAI, otherwise stock.

Also, I'm debating on a shifter. I like the Barton and the Ford Racing/Barton. Does anyone know if the Barton accepts our Boss original shifter ball and adapter?I noticed Barton sells them with and without a ball and adapter. I really want to keep it appearing stock and spending the extra $100 for the ford racing one seems wasteful unless the black Barton doesn't accept the shifter ball and machined adapter off my Boss during the swap out. That's no time to find out....that's for sure.

Thanks,
Dave

I'd look no further than our vendor AED. Shaun has an excellent reputation for tuning the Coyote and Roadrunner engines. AED is local to me and I've been to their shop and they do excellent work.

I have the MGW and you can order it to accept the stock shift ball.

NFSBOSS said:
I'd look no further than our vendor AED. Shaun has an excellent reputation for tuning the Coyote and Roadrunner engines. AED is local to me and I've been to their shop and they do excellent work.

I have the MGW and you can order it to accept the stock shift ball.

I appreciate your help.

I would guess the install would be the same on any quality aftermarket shifter I would pick??

Thanks,
Dave

KonaBlue302 said:
I would guess the install would be the same on any quality aftermarket shifter I would pick??

All except probably the MGW since it replaces the rear bracket on the shifter as well as the box that the shifter sits in. Barton has a bracket that they sell along with their shifter, but for the price you might as well get an MGW.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I hope you are not running that JLT intake with a factory tune.

That said I have had several tunes
Trackey
JLP
Steeda
AED

AED blows all the others away. I have also sat in a 12 GT with a back to back comparison of the Bama to AED again night and day difference. The lopey idle tune from him is just as smooth as the trackey but sounds so much better.

Shifter I would go with the MGW you can reuse your stock knob. Your next question will be how do you get that stock knob off? a Strap wrench from sears (the red one) and a heat gun is your best bet.

I am looking at tunes as well, and also getting Kooks Long Tube Headers and H Pipe and maybe even Cat Deletes or Cooks "green Cats". I have a local Dyno tuner that is is one of the top 5 tuners in the country, but he does Performance Tunes, and does do o the "Lopey Idle - Race Cam Tunes". So trying to decide on if I want to order a tune from AED or not as well.

Brandon302 said:
All except probably the MGW since it replaces the rear bracket on the shifter as well as the box that the shifter sits in. Barton has a bracket that they sell along with their shifter, but for the price you might as well get an MGW.

Yeah, I saw the install video on the MGW shifter and its a lot more involved than the Barton. Obviously the MGW is far superior to all of the competition....IMO.

Justin said:
I hope you are not running that JLT intake with a factory tune.

That said I have had several tunes
Trackey
JLP
Steeda
AED

AED blows all the others away. I have also sat in a 12 GT with a back to back comparison of the Bama to AED again night and day difference. The lopey idle tune from him is just as smooth as the trackey but sounds so much better.

Shifter I would go with the MGW you can reuse your stock knob. Your next question will be how do you get that stock knob off? a Strap wrench from sears (the red one) and a heat gun is your best bet.

Thanks for your help Justin. I saw the install video of the MGW and they mentioned the Boss shifter ball was a b**** to get off and recommended the strap wrench also.

As for the JLT, what issues are there with a stock tune/track key tune and the JLT? I bought the car almost 2 wks ago with 6500 miles and it had the JLT on it already.

rpm3dinc said:
I am looking at tunes as well, and also getting Kooks Long Tube Headers and H Pipe and maybe even Cat Deletes or Cooks "green Cats". I have a local Dyno tuner that is is one of the top 5 tuners in the country, but he does Performance Tunes, and does do o the "Lopey Idle - Race Cam Tunes". So trying to decide on if I want to order a tune from AED or not as well.

Sounds like a tough decision. I live in West Palm Bch Florida and steeda is just down the road in pompano bch. I remember back in the late 80's when the 5.0 were new and really hot and steeda was a little 1 garage shop, now it takes up half a block. They have really grown. I think i'm going to go with the AED even with steeda being down the road. And MGW shifter looks like its worth the extra install time.

Brandon302 said:
Pretty sure the stock tune isn't calibrated for the intake, might cause a lean condition.

Really? that sux. Im not sure if my car has a different tune other than factory now. I bought it from a dealership in WPB, where the original owner traded it in. I have been trying to the previous owners # so I can get the owners kit, original air intake and find out more about the car but they keep giving me the run around.

Justin

KonaBlue302 said:
Really? that sux. Im not sure if my car has a different tune other than factory now. I bought it from a dealership in WPB, where the original owner traded it in. I have been trying to the previous owners # so I can get the owners kit, original air intake and find out more about the car but they keep giving me the run around.
the car more then likely has a tune on it if its running a JLT and it was used. Should have came with a hand held tuner or the owner should have returned it to stock.

Justin

rpm3dinc said:
what tuner are you referring to? And top 5 according to who? Just wondering as I had a "top" tuner tune my cobra years ago.....blew up my car.

Justin said:
the car more then likely has a tune on it if its running a JLT and it was used. Should have came with a hand held tuner or the owner should have returned it to stock.

All I got from the dlr was the original key and track key. What would happen if it wasn't changed back to stock? From what I understand, the original owner was almost 70 so I am not to sure he was on top of what to do and not to do. I see that he never registered it on here...2012 #1035. I just did.

Also, what happens if the car has a tune and you use the track key?

Can you use an AED tune if its already tuned to someone elses tune and not reset to factory? The last thing I want to do is cause damage to this awesome car......and knowing whats what is extremely important to me. Im not the kind of guy that buys parts and throws them at the car with no understanding of an end goal. Doing research and asking questions to the correct people that are in the know is always the way to go....IMO (plus its alot less expensive to do it right once)

Thanks,
Dave

Justin

KonaBlue302 said:
All I got from the dlr was the original key and track key. What would happen if it wasn't changed back to stock? From what I understand, the original owner was almost 70 so I am not to sure he was on top of what to do and not to do. I see that he never registered it on here...2012 #1035. I just did.

Also, what happens if the car has a tune and you use the track key?

Can you use an AED tune if its already tuned to someone elses tune and not reset to factory? The last thing I want to do is cause damage to this awesome car......and knowing whats what is extremely important to me. Im not the kind of guy that buys parts and throws them at the car with no understanding of an end goal. Doing research and asking questions to the correct people that are in the know is always the way to go....IMO (plus its alot less expensive to do it right once)

Thanks,
Dave
do you have the stock air box? if so I would take it back to the dealer you bought it from and demand they return the car back to factory stock tune free of charge. if not ask where the tuner is that was used to program the car.

the bosses come with both keys you have to buy the trackey programming and pay to have ford install it. I had the trackey and I can use either key with my aed tunes. the key will still say trackey active etc but if you do the program check it wont pass. it saying trackey active is a function of the pats (anti theft system).

your best place to get answers on this will be more then likely a tuner like AED. send him an email with all your questions and concerns. he will know much more about what can be done if you dont have the tuner that tuned a car etc.

Justin said:
do you have the stock air box? if so I would take it back to the dealer you bought it from and demand they return the car back to factory stock tune free of charge. if not ask where the tuner is that was used to program the car.

the bosses come with both keys you have to buy the trackey programming and pay to have ford install it. I had the trackey and I can use either key with my aed tunes. the key will still say trackey active etc but if you do the program check it wont pass. it saying trackey active is a function of the pats (anti theft system).

your best place to get answers on this will be more then likely a tuner like AED. send him an email with all your questions and concerns. he will know much more about what can be done if you dont have the tuner that tuned a car etc.

I bought a used original air intake off ebay to have one. The dealer is useless. They know nothing about the car and cant give me the previous owners #.
And Yeah, I have an email in to Shaun at AED as I write this. Thanks for your help Justin.

How would I be able to tell if its got the stock tune running right now?

TMO Supporting Vendors