What type of garage lift do you use

Discussion in 'GT350 and S550 Technical Forum' started by Tequestashelby, Jun 14, 2019 at 8:55 AM.

1. Tequestashelby

Tequestashelby TMO Beginner

i am new here and new to tracking my car. I have a 2018 GT350 and just started on my garage addition. Was wondering about the differences in 2 post 4 post and scissors lifts. My GT350 will be a partial daily driver as well as a track car. Because of this I want to be able to swap out tires and brake pads easy. Any suggestions as well as pros and cons will help me decide how to set up my garage. Thanks

2. Kevin Guzniczak

Kevin Guzniczak TMO Race

I run quick jack which is portable and great for me since I don’t have a dedicated space in my garage for a permanent lift. It works well for just what you speak of. I installed jacking rails on my GT350 and it makes it a breeze when used with my quick jack. Out at the track the jacking rails come in handy for tire swaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xr7 and Tequestashelby like this.
  3. j3st3r

j3st3r Brian S.

I use the Quick Jack and it works very well! The other thing I like is that if I go to a track with power in garages...I can take this with me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jack stand is not required, or suggested....I just figured why not :)

xr7 and Tequestashelby like this.
  4. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

I have a two post Rotary brand lift.
    Great clearance all around the car.
    Needs 14” ceiling.

5. JDee

JDee Ancient Racer

I also have a QuickJack and it beats the crap out of jacks and jack stands. But if I had room in my garage I would have put a 2 post lift in, I'd far rather be standing than laying on my back on a creeper.

6. 2012-Boss

2012-Boss TMO Addict

If you have the room, you want a two post lift. Minimum ceiling for a full height lift for a Mustang is around 12’ with a symetrical floor plate lift.

If you have the room, go with an asymetrical lift with an overhead cable plate. But, this will require 14’ or more ceiling height.

7. 2012-Boss

2012-Boss TMO Addict

I forgot to mention, don’t go with a cheap, non-certified, Chinese lift. Spend the extra money for a bendpak, rotary, or other professional certified lift. The bendpaks and rotary lifts will have Chinese components, but the lifts went through US certification testing for the lift rating.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 9:30 PM
  8. Black Boss

Black Boss TMO Addict

I used a 4 post lift initially, and then added a moving jack to it. Used it to rebuild the Boss Suspension, install headers on the Boss, drop the Tranny, and then built the Race car. Dropping the K-member on both the S550 and S197 can be done, as can removing the rear cradle on the S550, but access is limited, and you can't drop the engine. I've removed the engine from above on both cars -- very tricky with long tube headers and I wouldn't do it again!

As a result I recently installed an Asymmetric 2 post lift. Access is much better and dropping the rear cradle or K-member is much easier and an engine drop is feasible.

Pro's of the Drive on 4 post are:
    1) Mobility -- they are free standing, so initial positioning isn't critical, and some have a caster kit
    2) Car positioning is less critical -- both side to side and fore and aft
    3) The ramps are handy for temporary tool storage and placing lights
    4) Requires less overhead clearance

Pro's of the 2 post are:
    1) Access to the underside of the whole car
    2) Ability to drop the Engine/Tranny Ass'y
    3) Easier to drop K-Member and Rear Subframe

For regular maintenance either is great, but I wish I'd had the 2 post for my car build. If you go with a 4 post, get the rolling jack.

fullsizeoutput_179a.jpeg

neema likes this.