The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What's a decent lap time for a Boss or GT at Motorsport Ranch Cresson?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey all,

Anyone here have experience at MSR Cresson on the 1.7 CCW? What sort of lap times should I be running with a track pack GT with stock pirelli p-zeros?

Also, might anyone have any video of laps on this configuration?

Thanks!

Not sure what all is in the track pack, but when I was running my stock GT500, my best time was a 1:31. Now, two years latter, my best is a 1:20 with Hoosiers in a race prepped Boss. If you are new to this, shoot for low to mid 1:30s. Are you out there very often? I'd be happy to take you for a ride and get you familiar with the track.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwrQd9WETQ8[/youtube]

Hi Mark,

Thanks very much for your kind offer. I'd love some help learning the track.

I'll be out at MSR on June 1st doing Apex. Any chance you'll be there that day?

By the way, you ran on May 12th... Are you an MSR member? That must be pretty fun!

I'm not entirely new to this... I did Apex last fall on the 1.7 CW. And I've done ECR three times in the last year.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lG8TwKPYo[/youtube]

Thanks for the target times, it's nice to start the day off with a set of goals but also with a reasonable set of expectations. :)

-Bob

I'll be there June 8th/9th with the Drivers Edge! Testing out the new suspension and a host of other goodies - woo hoo!

Well, I tried and tried, but the best I could do was a 1:37.97.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/7CL4LLdhgE4[/youtube]

And, because I just discovered how cool this is, here's a map showing my (flawed, i'm sure) driving line:

MSR_lap.jpg

I think that’s a pretty good line. Maybe a little wide going into rattlesnake, but there are a million opinions on the entry into that turn. You are also braking too early and too long in that turn. I would say that is your biggest area for improvement, latter breaking all around the track. But overall, good job.

I wish I could have gone out for Apex but my car is in Hallett until the 24th. Can’t wait to get back out to Cresson. And yes, I’m a member out there. Let me know if you ever want to go out there.

Oh, and because I neglected to mention it before, thanks again smittytx for the suggestions on lines. The instructors at Apex kept saying to wait a *really* long time before turning into rattlesnake. I was having trouble finding a good combination of braking force and choosing when to brake. So quite often I'd brake way too early, then sort of coast to the turn-in point.

I wonder how different my braking might feel with non-OEM pads. Any suggestions?

I'll focus on my braking next time I'm on the track, which I hope won't be too long from now!

smittytx said:
I think that’s a pretty good line. Maybe a little wide going into rattlesnake, but there are a million opinions on the entry into that turn. You are also braking too early and too long in that turn. I would say that is your biggest area for improvement, latter breaking all around the track. But overall, good job.

havent done msrc yet and am missing red meat and race fuel at msrh tonight but mine has been to TWS.
2.9 ccw lots of 1:56's and one 1:55.
stock 2013 boss302 with full tread toyo ra/1's.
quicker than my more track oriented 911....
with practice i will improve.
cheers, haas

haasfogle said:
havent done msrc yet and am missing red meat and race fuel at msrh tonight but mine has been to TWS.
2.9 ccw lots of 1:56's and one 1:55.
stock 2013 boss302 with full tread toyo ra/1's.
quicker than my more track oriented 911....
with practice i will improve.
cheers, haas

Wow, that's a good time. Slap a cage in there and you'll be running up front in American Iron.

i can claim home track advantage for this one....
(and a truly great car!)
i will be part of the instruction team with Andy Lally and Dave Scott (racecoach.net) for a private weekend in november if any Mustang guys want track time at TWS.
haas

TMO Supporting Vendors