The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What's a Top Ten Worth?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nope, I'm not selling but someone is thinking of selling a top ten car and it is first of the color produced. In general, if you were looking to buy would you pay more for a top 10 numbered car? I think I would.

I am leaving the question very general on purpose, just plain would you pay more. If that is 1K, 5K or 10K it is not that important, I just want to know what people think.

I wouldn't pay any more. If I was in Shane's shoes and bought #1 I would have cashed in on it at the blink of an eye. I don't view my car as an investment and other than #1 I don't think any of the others are either.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
5 DOT 0 said:
I wouldn't pay any more. If I was in Shane's shoes and bought #1 I would have cashed in on it at the blink of an eye. I don't view my car as an investment and other than #1 I don't think any of the others are either.

+1

Who knows what the cars will be worth 30 yrs from now? ??? ;D
But the original Bosses which I was fortunate to have owned/sold one, in
decent shape now are worth a lot if you can find one.
They also made a lot more total cars in 1969,70,71 than they say they are going to make of these. Even if you add up all the Boss 302, Boss 351, and Boss 429 produced you do not have many that can be located today in good shape.
Lots of the cars were raced, wrecked, and junked over that time.
I will be gone before 30 yrs gets here so you younger guys will have to email me
in heaven , and let me know how the investment paid off. LOL

To those of you who bought your Boss to sit in a garage and collect dust so someone else could enjoy driving it 30 yrs from now...good luck. I'm driving mine NOW...as hard as I can, whenever I can, where ever I can, as long as I can and not looking back. To me, the experience of owning & driving a car like this is priceless!

Wouldn't be worth anything to me, but I have my hood in a box, my back seat trim cut in half with holes drilled through it, deck lid with new holes, rear seat removed, holes cut in my bumper with tow hooks sticking out of them, washer bottle in the attic, holes in my floor with eyebolts for sub belts, a cut up grille and half the plastic inside my wheel wells cut away for brake cooling hoses, but that's just me :p

I think definitely #1 or a prototype of anything will have extra value. Also the last one produced seems to be worth investment value as well. Other than that, I don't think other numbers count much. Options seem to be worth more too. Back in the 70's, at least here in the Mid-West, no self-respecting motorhead would want air conditioning in their Mustang, Camaro, Mopar. Any additional "drag" on the motor was considered taboo. Now, at the auctions the announcers are drooling over "fully optioned" classic muscle. Who knew?

I'm not a collector so I wouldn't pay more. That said, there are people with more money than they know what to do with. I would think you might get a little more for a top ten car. Nothing like what the 001 got though.

I have a 95 Lightning some of you should know what it is for those that dont go look it up. ;D

But anyway I have #2 of 2280 and I had it for sale a few years ago. Trying to sell it for the same price as everybody else selling there's on NLOC.net I wasn't going to get what I wanted, so I know I wasn't going to get more because it's #2.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
If it was one of the rarer color combinations, I could see it being worth a little more. But only a modest amount. And all you guys cutting up your Bosses will help those who just bought it to keep it in the garage. I'm in the middle as it's not my DD but my wife and I's fun weekend car.

302BOB said:
Shane wanted at least enough funds to payoff #0001 & buy his replacement Boss....I'm sure he got what he wanted.

^^

that said, it really depends on the buyer. i'd wager yellow blaze will be the rarest color for these cars. The first one made, low number, the right buyer may pay more for it.

ShaneM said:
302BOB said:
Shane wanted at least enough funds to payoff #0001 & buy his replacement Boss....I'm sure he got what he wanted.

^^

that said, it really depends on the buyer. i'd wager yellow blaze will be the rarest color for these cars. The first one made, low number, the right buyer may pay more for it.
From the production numbers posted elsewhere in this forum, you're absolutely right about the YB cars. That's why I also think Phil will be able to sell his and recoup his investment sometime in the not too distant future.

Not worth more to be. #1 was a good find and would it have been cool to get #302, but I personally wouldn't pay more for either. I can see someone may want the first in a color (in 20-30 years from now), but hard to beleive they would pay more for a used one right now when they could still go get a new one.

So right now - right now, if I was buying another one I would pay MSRP for a new one (any color) and would pay less for a used one (any color).

As far as colors long term, just as there are more desirable colors for the 69/70 Boss, there will be more desirable colors for the 12/13 Boss - to pay more for a specific color, that choice will be in the eyes and pocket of the buyer. Color, options, condition, miles, history will play a factor. But I am pretty sure all of us who bought them now are not worried about what they will be worth in 30 years.

Thanks for the honest replies. As I said it is not me selling and I agree that cars are not generally good investments.

However I do feel that the very low number cars will carry more weight and that is what I told the other owner. It may be the crowd here, since most of us were able to get good deals but I think most people would pick car 0003 over car 2000 if they were both sitting on the same used car lot. Now I also think most would pick car 3 over 2000 even it it had 15,000 miles vs, 10,000 on the 2000 car. So I figure it is not a far stretch to say someone might pay a little more for a really low number. Again it is not everyone but if the seller holds out I am confident the right buyer would come along.

TMO Supporting Vendors