The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What's in Your Track Toolbox?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys (and gals?),
I'm getting sick of moving tools between my garage and the track. Always forgetting something. I want to build a track toolbox that stays in the trailer.
What should it have in it? What's in YOUR toolbox? Including spare parts! For common, quick repairs.

Maybe we can compile a sticky list of all the common tools, wrenches and sizes you would normally need (e.g. brake bleeder valve sockets, endlink bolt ratchet wrench size, spare lugs, torque wrenches, spare studs, control arm nut sizes? front/rear, various drain plugs sizes, caliper spreader, etc. etc.

Thanks for any lists of yours!
D

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I have one of those rolling tool chests with a boatload of drawers from Craftsman so I just roll it out of the garage and into the trailer. I have an extra set of D rings near the front wall so I just strap it down and lock the wheels. It also has those restraint bars so the drawers won't open in transit. It holds everything I own. It waa a christmas gift from the wife so not sure what it cost. It freed up a lot of room on my work bench in the garage too.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
My car *is* a toolbox. ;)

I use two toolboxes. One small blow-molded case with about 90 pc. basic socket/ratchet set with 3/8 and 1/4 drives. The other is a long open blow molded craftsman box with just about every tool that I've used on the car recently.
3/8" breaker bar
pipe nipple cheater bar
large crescent
large channel lock
small channel lock
side cutters
2 vise grips
mid-depth metric 6 pt set
screwdrivers, etc.
AN -10 wrenches
14mm hex bit for the oil fitting
torx bit for the seatbelt
serpentine belt tool
lots of 8mm,10mm,13mm 15mm, 18mm sockets and combo wrench/ratchet box, a few deep sockets
another 3/8 ratchet
11mm combo for brake bleeding.
allen wrench for the CorteX rear shock/sway bar mount.
brake block tool
tape measure
digital angle finder (if I plan on changing camber at the track)

Not in the box:
Jack
Torque wrenches
Jack stands
chair
2x4 blocking
wheel chocks
Gal. distilled water
5 gal air tank
5 gal race fuel
spline drive key
allen wrenches for shock adjustment
carpet
hand cleaner
nitrile gloves
mechanic gloves
zip ties
silicone tape
tire patch/plug kit
Sometimes brake tools(for the rear brakes) and vacuum bleeder.
Detailing bag + rags
Magnetic numbers
IR temp gun
data/logbook
tire pressure gauges
oil for topping off
brake fluid

Spares:
GT lower radiator hose
Degas bottle 16 psi caps
Brake pads (maybe rotors depending on current wear/condition)
Saleen grille
4 slicks

...and I'm probably forgetting a bunch of stuff! :(

Good topic. Grant covered most of it. In addition to his list:

I also carry every fluid the car with enough to drain and refill

Spare set of wheel bearings/hubs
5 gallons of compressed air
Shop towels
Can of grease
Motive power bleeder
Sheet of ply wood for tracks that require it to jack up (ie VIR)
Something to drop on the ground to catch spilled fuel (for tracks like VIR that care)

Probably a lot more that I'm forgetting.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
That's a lot of stuff to fit in a Mustang Grant!

One thing I didn't see listed that is worth every penny you pay:

Longacre cordless impact driver, extra battery and charger. I can rotate/change tires in no time

Grant 302

Tucson302 said:
That's a lot of stuff to fit in a Mustang Grant!

One thing I didn't see listed that is worth every penny you pay:

Longacre cordless impact driver, extra battery and charger. I can rotate/change tires in no time

And I play Mustang TetrisTM every track day! You could've seen me in action out at Chuckwalla...

And I'm thinking I need a cordless solution for the impact driver. Swapping tires at the track is getting tiresome! ;) ;) ::)

Depending on the track/venue; Toilet paper, can of Lysol, and antibacterial hand wipes. I know I'm a germaphobe but if you have ever had to utilize an outhouse for more than a tinkle........

BigTaco said:
Depending on the track/venue; Toilet paper, can of Lysol, and antibacterial hand wipes. I know I'm a germaphobe but if you have ever had to utilize an outhouse for more than a tinkle........
From the looks of it you must be familiar with Nelson Ledges, yes?

I will make my big list tomorrow.

But I'm starting to bring some spare parts. Like one spare rotor. The cheapy kind in case I brake a rotor by chance. Not likely but I'd hate to blow a whole weekend out of town because of it. I'm also going to bring some spare wheel studs. And I ordered a box of all the TTY suspension bolts from auto nation. Don't want a $0.50 part ruining the party.

I bring my longacre toe plates now. Had to change the toe once and it saved a weekend. Of course, my motiv brake bleeder and genesis magnet bleeder bottle. all spare fluids. Just a couple off the top of my head.

I got this open top canvas toolbox with carry straps that I call my "pit" toolbox. Basically it has stuff for quick pit work. pyrometer. pressure gauge. spare lugs. flashlight. zip ties. brake sockets. etc. it's kind of small and easy to carry around the car doing stuff. But I need to flesh out the bigger track garage toolbox.

Grant, vice grips??? :p

Grant 302

DG#56 said:
Grant, vice grips??? :p

Sometimes my Kung-fu grip runs out. :p ;)

Seriously, though...the needle nose ones are for the clutch assist spring. In case I'm just too tired to deal without it. Sad, but true. The large ones are just in case stuff breaks. I'm surprised I don't bring the BFH.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have a specific set of tools for the track but I always take them out when I store the trailer, paraniod about theft.

It is a pain loading and unloading all that stuff.

Make sure you have a rear brake compressor.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Although this is not something in the tool box, it it very handy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N68IVW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Storage tote.

Large enough to store spare parts, fluids, tools and shop towels etc.. I load them up and put them in the truck. Take then back out of the truck and back on a shelf in the shop. Check it before I load up again. Saved loads of time and keeps things organised. I can put a set of front rotors, pads etc in one bin.

Label each bin with contents and leave them in the truck until needed.

TMSBOSS said:
Although this is not something in the tool box, it it very handy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N68IVW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Storage tote.

Large enough to store spare parts, fluids, tools and shop towels etc.. I load them up and put them in the truck. Take then back out of the truck and back on a shelf in the shop. Check it before I load up again. Saved loads of time and keeps things organised. I can put a set of front rotors, pads etc in one bin.

Label each bin with contents and leave them in the truck until needed.

Yeah, I use one. I just got a new one a Kobalt one from Lowes. Has floating trays and stuff. It fits perfectly in the back of my F250 by the bed door inside the fold away gate extender. When its rotated back in the bed it forms a little "corral" area and the new utility box fits snugly in there. I'm just going to load it with stuff and leave it there. I can padlock it and strap lock it to the truck bed.
899441002908lg.jpg

Grant 302

I need to use a bin like that^
Maybe without the wheels.

This is the tool box I use:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-22inch-standard-truck-box/p-00965119000P
spin_prod_206263401?hei=1000&wid=1000&op_sharpen=1.jpg
Cheap, simple and fits a surprising amount of stuff.

ArizonaBOSS said:
I have a specific set of tools for the track but I always take them out when I store the trailer, paraniod about theft.

It is a pain loading and unloading all that stuff.

Make sure you have a rear brake compressor.

You're right to be paranoid about theft. I've heard lots of stories about losses from trailers in storage.

+1 on the brake compressor if I didn't mention above. I bring the whole kit if a change is imminent or the 3/8" drive 'block' tool if the change is not likely.

TMO Supporting Vendors