The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What's the Best Engine on Sale Today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would have swapped the Coyote with the Voodoo for that list. The one in the new Bullitt will have 480 HP without the vibration of the Voodoo.

I would have swapped the Coyote with the Voodoo for that list. The one in the new Bullitt will have 480 HP without the vibration of the Voodoo.
I remember back before Ford introduced this engine Pericak saying their design team spent a good deal of time working the vibration counter balance issues as this had delayed the release of this engine. There are more benefits to this engine configuration that out weigh the vibration issue. Flat-plane engines can scavenge exhaust from the cylinders in a more efficient way, which offers performance and efficiency boosts, with less complex exhaust manifolds. Ferrari uses FPCs on all their V8s.

Ferrari engines are much smaller and include dual intakes like most FPC high performance engines.

Which engine are you going to add power to?

@8250RPM

I’ve looked at a Alfa shown above. I love that car!

I have BMR lowering motor mount brackets that allow lowering the engine 1/4”, 1/2” and stock.
2 years ago I tried installing a CJ intake to my car but the hood would not close. And at that time I was also prototyping headers for the GT350 for ARH so I didn’t want to add lowering motor mounts.

So 2 months ago I purchased a GT4 hood in hopes that it would gain some intake clearance but after having the hood and the poor quality I ditched the idea and decided on the mounts and pray the GT500 hood fits.

I’ve also contacted Hogan intake manifolds and they make many intakes. They shown me a few but this one...
38a6376386ee02ff5823b2e7aa1b80dc.jpg
Would be interesting to try as would the ITB intakes like the one from Borla. Except nobody wants to make on for throttle by wire and to make it work you need a stand alone ecu and that just jacks the price up to $18-$20k just for a intake.
I’ll pass on the ITB but I’m hoping the CJ will clear after the mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can say the Ferrari derived Alfa Romeo 2.9L 90* 6cyl twin turbo CPC (#1 on the list) from the F154 Ferrari engine family is one little crazy engine. The Ferrari 458 Speciale engineering team along with Alfa Romeo designed the Giulia Quadrifoglio including aero in Ferrari's wind tunnel. Interesting back story and of course long history between AR and Ferrari. Unique sound with the 90* 6 cyl. I'm running a tune and at 615bhp or 525whp it is a blast to drive. Of course I love the Voodoo but wildly different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_F154_engine

Giulia Quadrifoglio (1).jpgskitch.png

Ferrari engines are much smaller and include dual intakes like most FPC high performance engines.

Which engine are you going to add power to?

@8250RPM
When 526 HP is not enough, call in the cavalry. You're a track racer. You don't want to get into the nuts and bolts of squeaking a few more HP out of your block. Engine building is expensive and time consuming. Life's too short. Focus on what your good at. Let these guys dial in what you want out your engine. They're building engines for NASCAR, they must know what they're doing.

https://www.roushperformance.com/engines/

You’re running the tune on your Alfa?

Yes I am. The car is quite fun. The chassis handles the addtl power well. It is a low 11 sec @ 128ish mph car now. I think it would hang with my GT350 quite well on the track but mine in current form is still faster. A stock GT350 wouldn't stand a chance. Heck they put 60 comp Pirelli Corsa PZero's on the car stock and it is sub 3700lbs. CF roof, hood and DS while just about everything else is aluminum inc the suspension. The torque vectoring diff is hard to describe but my mind was blown when I first pushed the car where you could feel the diff working to counteract understeer/oversteer. I plan to autocross it but probably no HPDE days. I have the carbon ceramic brakes which are incredible but damn expensive wearables. A rotor set is $7k and pads are $1800. AR told Ferrari help us build a M3 killer and that they did.

_JAW9287.JPG

What an amazing group of engines! This pre-autonomous era is going out with a bang for sure.

I had the opportunity to flog a stock Giulia QF last weekend and was VERY impressed. That car is wonderful: the engine, the transmission, the steering quickness, the braking power, the way it puts down power, everything. Even the base seats were great (Sparcos are optional). Was so much more refined than I anticipated, even in Race. Only issue I had with it was the way too small back seat. A tuned one must be hilarious!

Yes I am. The car is quite fun. The chassis handles the addtl power well. It is a low 11 sec @ 128ish mph car now. I think it would hang with my GT350 quite well on the track but mine in current form is still faster. A stock GT350 wouldn't stand a chance. Heck they put 60 comp Pirelli Corsa PZero's on the car stock and it is sub 3700lbs. CF roof, hood and DS while just about everything else is aluminum inc the suspension. The torque vectoring diff is hard to describe but my mind was blown when I first pushed the car where you could feel the diff working to counteract understeer/oversteer. I plan to autocross it but probably no HPDE days. I have the carbon ceramic brakes which are incredible but damn expensive wearables. A rotor set is $7k and pads are $1800. AR told Ferrari help us build a M3 killer and that they did.

View attachment 4187

Since they started publishing the Alfa I’ve been in love with it.
I need this car in my life. I’ve never owned anything but fords but since I seen this car a couple years ago I fell in love with it.
Awesome taste you have![emoji1303]

Since they started publishing the Alfa I’ve been in love with it.
I need this car in my life. I’ve never owned anything but fords but since I seen this car a couple years ago I fell in love with it.
Awesome taste you have![emoji1303]

Thanks. Since turning the GT350 into a dedicated track car I was on the hunt for a daily even though I work from home that I could drop the kids off at school, etc. I was also tired of getting beat up from the F250. I cross shopped the C63s AMG and the M3 comp pkg. The 4.0L twin turbo V8 of the AMG also on the list was fun to drive with an amazing exhaust note plus the car is drop dead gorgeous but you can really feel the weight. The Alfa driving feedback is amazing and hard to describe. It feels like a 3200lb car. If you get a chance drive one..I guarantee you won't be able to walk away from it.

BTW..reliability has been good. Flash updates resolved some early issues similar to the car reviews have posted but all good now. Definitely not the AR of old.

Thanks. Since turning the GT350 into a dedicated track car I was on the hunt for a daily even though I work from home that I could drop the kids off at school, etc. I was also tired of getting beat up from the F250. I cross shopped the C63s AMG and the M3 comp pkg. The 4.0L twin turbo V8 of the AMG also on the list was fun to drive with an amazing exhaust note plus the car is drop dead gorgeous but you can really feel the weight. The Alfa driving feedback is amazing and hard to describe. It feels like a 3200lb car. If you get a chance drive one..I guarantee you won't be able to walk away from it.

BTW..reliability has been good. Flash updates resolved some early issues similar to the car reviews have posted but all good now. Definitely not the AR of old.

Motortrend loved it as well when compared to the bmw, mb, caddy. The AR took the win.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I remember back before Ford introduced this engine Pericak saying their design team spent a good deal of time working the vibration counter balance issues as this had delayed the release of this engine. There are more benefits to this engine configuration that out weigh the vibration issue. Flat-plane engines can scavenge exhaust from the cylinders in a more efficient way, which offers performance and efficiency boosts, with less complex exhaust manifolds. Ferrari uses FPCs on all their V8s.
Didn't they also have to put a lot of extra effort into it because it wasn't a normal 0-180-180-0 FPC?

Norm

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel