The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What's the best performance mod that you've purchased for your GT350(R)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey all, 2016 R owner here. I'm getting the itch to put a few dollars into my ride. I've currently got Maximum Motorsports camber plates, G-Loc R12/R10 pads, and an MGW shifter. I'm wondering what to do next. So, other than seat time and instruction, what's the best performance mod that you've purchased for your GT350(R)?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Get a set of squared rims ( 19x11s ) from either Apex or Forgeline so you can rotate the tires for longer life and then get a set of Hoosiers to mount on them if you are towing to the track. Otherwise do a square set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s or Goodyear F1 3Rs for something street driven to the track. You have some of the main things already , but tires are the numero uno thing to help you go faster ( that with brake pads to whoa the go ). You might want a more aggressive G-Loc up front in the future, the 12s have wonderful feel but they will wear a bit quicker. Have fun............

PS - go to the new " Build Thread " and showcase your Gt 350R with all the stuff you have done.

Hey all, 2016 R owner here. I'm getting the itch to put a few dollars into my ride. I've currently got Maximum Motorsports camber plates, G-Loc R12/R10 pads, and an MGW shifter. I'm wondering what to do next. So, other than seat time and instruction, what's the best performance mod that you've purchased for your GT350(R)?
Rear LCA sphericals from Cortex or BMR. The bushings bind up the suspension to an unbelievable degree. If you haven't locked the rear subframe down, that at the same time. Both of those things make it night and day different for consistency, stability and confidence in putting power down. The bearings also make the torsen diff work MUCH more effectively by increasing the load on the inside tire for improved torque biasing.

Best single mod I made for my old Boss & current GT350 was a set of SRP Racing pedals. Huge improvement in driving feel and confidence with a grippy and rock solid brake pedal instead of the squishy slippery rubber press fit mess that comes on the car. I got the "grid" finish with black anodizing and they work as good as they look!

if i was you i’d get a set of squared 19x11’s......

Bay Area
You dont need the shifter. It is a nice mod but the stock shifter is great.
Here is my recommendation
CC plates
Autoblip
Watson 4 point
Dedicated track rims (i am going to a square set up but dont have any input yet)If you ask me I say Signature wheels but thats my go to brand @50Deep (love ya Bro)
Brake fluid
Track / Street duty pads and rotors (if you use it as a dual duty car) I have giro disc rotors all around and use G-Loc R12/10 on track and RS01 on the street.
Depends on sound but remote exhaust switch. Its awesome at Laguna. People always ask me how I get away with WOT on a quiet day.
Pedals are nice but not required. You will feel the difference
CF steering wheel (thats just so you dont go crazy when the stock wheel is getting worn out. Trust me I have 3 steering wheels for my car. CF and two stock R wheels on used and one BNIB

Last edited:
Awesome - thank you all!

Regarding the square 19x11 setups, are you running 305s, 315s, 325s? Seems like 325s are probably the way to go, no?

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
I'm surprised nobody has said that the best mod to their GT350 is a pair of fixed back bucket seats and 5-6 point harnesses...

You can put all the rubber, brakes, carbon steering wheel, short shifter, solid bushings you want to your car, if you're moving around in your seat and holding onto your steering, all those modifications will be pretty much useless. I mean, they might look good on the "mods list" to brag about at Cars & Coffee, but the first real proper upgrade should always be for the driver himself : seats and harnesses.

315’s will fit with 31mm spacer up front but i’d suggest 19x11.5 rims with e56 offset
Per Apex fitment guide....

Front & Rear: 19x11” ET52 with 305/30-19 tires
  • 315/30-19 tires can also be used with at least -3 degrees of front camber and at least 25mm spacers up front to clear most suspensions. Aftermarket suspensions with offset struts can reduce spacer thickness. See below.
No clue if that is correct.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel