The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What's the best performance radial rain tire ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

US
I need some new tires for the Boss for the street, daily driving. I will use these tires on track on rainy HPDE days. I run full slicks when it's dry. These would be for those "just in case" rain days at the track so I don't have to just sit in the paddock.
Im not concerned with max performance in the dry on the street. But I will have these on the daily driver 19" street rims.
Any suggestions?
Leaning towards the
Michelin pilot sport A/S 3s

Thanks !

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Michelin Pilot 4S.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think the MPS4s would be best now for general wet, and I liked MPSS for the same purpose as a rain day contingency tire. I think the A/S versions would be better for a downpour or standing water or cold/wet based on my experience with the previous version.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
PS4S or MPSS

285/35-18 MPSS on 18x11's, 2" of rain fell the day this video was shot. Between the spray and some Corvette tail-twitchiness that I didn't want to get collected by, I barely got one clean lap in. The situation sorted itself out for me about 11 minutes in.

I run the MPSS in a slightly smaller size (265/40-18 on 18x9.5 GT500 rims) for most of the car's street driving. Her car gets 225/45-18 MPSS for the warmer "3 seasons".

Norm

US
Norm-- That was some serious rain! There were puddles 10 ft long and deep! LOL
Not sure it would matter in those conditions but my "rain line" would have been different than yours.
Certainly need rain tires so it looks like I will order the PS4S today
Thanks guys!!
Lee

ExtremeContact SPORT is significantly better in the wet than PSS. Likewise the PS4S has made a huge improvement in wet grip over the PSS and is now in the same ballpark as the much less expensive ECS.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel