The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What's the differance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My '13 Boss has the standard "limited slip" rear axle....what would the Torsen differential have added?
Thanks
Ray

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The "standard" limited slip is the Ford Traction Lok with carbon fiber clutch plates. The traction lok uses a relatively "weak" spring compared to other LSDs or full mechanical LSDs like the Torsen. Due to this, the clutch packs will wear out over time reducing effectiveness of the LSD.

The Torsen is a fully-mechanical (gear/screw drive) that does not have any consumable/wear items that can degrade over time and affect performance.

to add to the above description, the clutch type LSD will allow more slip over time as the discs wear out. so you will not get "equal" power distribution between your rear wheels overtime, and the wheel with less resistance will get more power, hence LSD will become less effective. but we're talking about good amount of wear. if you dont track your car, you probably won't notice any difference.

Not that I am planning right now as I'm trying to maintain factory config, but....upgrading to Torsen LSD could be done by the dealer with considerable cost for
Abor/ material?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel