The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What's the Difference Between a Production Boss and a Boss 302R?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's a whole lot faster!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFNY33MwkMQ[/youtube]

Had a fun day at PBIR yesterday as Racers Edge invited us out to run with them for a private track day. Rain in the morning left standing water on many turns and I was way to scared to push it hard but still it was a lot of fun. I only brought slicks to the track and stayed off during the heavy rains tyring to avoid this!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnvKjTEPn_w[/youtube]

John (jas427) made it out with his silver LS and had a great time also (judging by the big smile on his face). Another forum member Rob (blacksheep-1) came out for the day. He ws a crew member on the Grand Am #35 car and is a tire expert. He taught John and I a lot about tires in gereral, pressures, temps and much more. Rob lives in FL and if anyone here wants to have professional help and learn about tracking your car drop him a PM.

I was very lucky he decided to come out to this event since not only was there rain to deal with but he caught a RF tire going flat on my car while I was on track. Then twenty minutes later caught piece of metal wire with sticking out of the LF tire. Both tires had to be replaced and I was happy they were done on a car still in one piece ;D

I can't say enough good things about Jon from Racers Edge for allowing us to run with them and Rob for all the help he provided at the track. The only thing that could have made it better, is if a few more site members were able to make it there.

Looks like fun Scott....Nice driving....PM me the tire secrets...I'm going on the 20th with PCA...Saturday only event for $275 if anyone is interested.

Scott, thanks for the compliment, it was a good track day and it was nice to meet John. (BTW I have his notes)

thebull said:
Looks like fun Scott....Nice driving....PM me the tire secrets...I'm going on the 20th with PCA...Saturday only event for $275 if anyone is interested.

You got all you're going to get...:)

Now for the shameless plug
I was thinking that since I'm currently bouncing from team to team, of maybe trying to make some HPDE events. Normally I get 200 per day at the track plus fuel/food/ hotel. I could probably handle 3 cars as along as you guys didn't go berserk on me, doing tires/ temps/ minor chassis adjustments (shocks, swaybars) if you wanted to get together for a group deal or something. I might have to figure nitrogen, and misc...something to think about.
I was also trying to put something together for data logging but I'm not there yet, and honestly it might be a little too much to accomplish, I think Scott will tell you that I stay pretty busy.
Let me know what you guys think

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
blacksheep-1 said:
Now for the shameless plug

Let me know what you guys think

I think the service would be totally worth it. Only problem is guys like me help other drivers with stuff like this for free. I don't have nitrogen on me, but have helped others with air/pressure, shock adjustments, camber adjustments and even alignment adjustments at the track.

I would think that your expertise would be better off serving a rental racer with a pit crew.

Data gathering has to be done as the car leaves the track, if you take the time to take your helmet off, the temps are useless. When Scott had his tire issue I was waiting in the pits with the jack and impact wrench, he could go right back out. I think it's great that you help others, we've all done that but I'm trying to bump it to the next level. The amount of applied data at the Grand Am level is pretty significant, and actually increases track time.

Grant 302 said:
I think the service would be totally worth it. Only problem is guys like me help other drivers with stuff like this for free. I don't have nitrogen on me, but have helped others with air/pressure, shock adjustments, camber adjustments and even alignment adjustments at the track.

I would think that your expertise would be better off serving a rental racer with a pit crew.

Rob has the knowledge to help more advanced people with cars like a Boss 302S or FR500 for sure. However if I had the kind of expert help that Rob provided this week a while back it would saved me some tires and a lot of time. If John sees this thread I know he he will say how much he learned from Rob in one day and John is not a beginner.

The fact he was with me this day may have saved my car from a wreck. I never even felt the tire gong down but Rob saw it long before it became a problem. What Rob is offering is a good way to gain knowledge from someone at the top of our sport. I'm not sure people just tracking would need this every time they run but what you would gain from a day with Rob is well worth it. I try to help out others when I can at the track also but I doubt I have 10% of the knowledge he has.

TMO Supporting Vendors