The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What's up with 150ft/lbs on the lug nuts??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
They often do. I will tell you that for 46 years in the fastener business, I know standard zinc plating does not act as a lubricant unless they put in an additive which is not very common. I do agree that anti-seize it not a good idea on wheel studs. If you are removing the wheel that often because you track the car, these studs should be considered consumables and replaced when needed.

the rep just referred to it as gold plating but thanks for the clarification.
Its not Gold? Damn, i had these put away for retirement when precious metal prices sky rocket

i split the difference and have been doing 120 and checking after every session

In the V6L
Hmmm... be careful with the tightening between sessions. If you torque your lug nuts when the wheel and hub are hot after a session, there's a risk that when they cool down they'll be over-torqued. After seventeen years of track days, I torque mine once in the morning before the first session and that's it for the day.

Hmmm... be careful with the tightening between sessions. If you torque your lug nuts when the wheel and hub are hot after a session, there's a risk that when they cool down they'll be over-torqued. After seventeen years of track days, I torque mine once in the morning before the first session and that's it for the day.

i swear to God al these rules......but that one makes sense

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
This makes sense but isn't it generally understood that you're supposed to check them after every session? Maybe I learned bad habits...

TMO Supporting Vendors