The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What's Up with Cortex?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Not sure if this is the right location for this question but here we go.

I have heard great things about Cortex Racing and their products but so far, I am not impressed. I cannot get ahold of anyone over there. Email responses come in several days later, no one answers the phone, no response to voicemail. I'm trying not to jump the gun here; maybe they are impacted by Covid or something else is going on there. Does anyone here have an inside scoop or know someone there? Are they active on TMO?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Hopefully , since they are a TMO Sponsor, someone nearby will drop a note or touch base with someone there. As you mentioned, with Covid running rampant in California it could very well be they are running quite low on staff. They definitely are not a company that can work outside of the shop, etc. to a large degree. They got back with me fairly quickly when I chatted with them in 2019 and got back with me later to see if I was still interested, so I hope you get an answer in the near future from them, or from one of our members.

I've had multiple e-mail conversations with Filip last month and this month and he always responded fairly quickly (usually same day). He was recently in the process of moving a lot of his stock to his personal shop when he sent my stuff out, so it could be that he is slightly delayed from that work and shipping out previously-placed orders (in addition to any toll Covid is having on his operations). Are you e-mailing [email protected]?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
All:
CorteX closed their California location as Filip has moved out-of-state. He is still involved but the entire operation is relocated to their Ohio facility under partner Ricky Reynolds' management.

Here is the most recent contact info:
Contact Us
CorteX Racing
(415) 489-0866

Business Hours M-F 9am – 5pm est
[email protected]
Address:
1280 State Route 28 Loveland, OH 45140

CorteX closed their California location as Filip has moved out-of-state. He is still involved but the entire operation is relocated to their Ohio facility under partner Ricky Reynolds' management.
That makes sense. Every time I have called I would get Rick on the line. The receptionist was probably transferring me from California to Ohio each time. Rick can be hit or miss. Some days he had time to talk and others he would want to get off the phone quickly to answer calls. After spending several thousand dollars on their parts I was somewhat ticked off that I got the bums rush but I think he was doing the brunt of the day to day stuff and had no choice. That was before Covid but I'm sure Rick is a busy guy.

I had pretty lousy experience with my Canadian order, but its still ongoing. I'll report back on how this week pans out.
I've shipped a couple of tee shirts to a canadian address to thank a guy's kids for picking up trash around the track. ( I thought it was a great thing they did) and after 3 back and forth, they finally got it 2 months later

I've been trying to get ahold of them as well.

Does anyone know the torque values for both the top and bottom nuts on the stud for their S550 bump steer kit? No instructions in the box or online.

Steeda lists 40ft lbs top and 50ftlbs bottom
SPL lists 75ft lbs top and 80 ft lbs bottom

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Langley, BC
I had pretty lousy experience with my Canadian order, but its still ongoing. I'll report back on how this week pans out.

Just reporting back that I ended up getting in contact with Micah and we ended up using a (expensive) shipping alternative - DHL - to get the products to Canada. Just have to pay a lot extra to ensure no issues getting their beautiful products into Canada. So I suggest if you are in Canada or anywhere other than USA to give them a call and have them use DHL. Hopefully they work out a shipping config on the website and have additional shipping options for international orders.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
If anybody cares, I am going to set the bump on my Cortex SLA in the next few weeks and might be willing to make a "how to" video. Anybody interested in seeing that?

Wanna post the torque values here just in case? Maybe we should try and get someone to post a write up on the install and include those torque specs.

Good call.

Top Nut (holding stud in spindle: 65ft lbs
Bottom Nut (holding rod end to stud): 65 ft lbs

The threads on the bottom of the stud are 5/8 vs 1/2" for the top threads, but torque value is the same because the bottom nut is half height.

If anybody cares, I am going to set the bump on my Cortex SLA in the next few weeks and might be willing to make a "how to" video. Anybody interested in seeing that?

I think that would be great content for this site.

I also don't want to store my bump steer gauge once I'm done with it (for now) so if any TMO'er from the bay area wants to borrow it they can do so and use your video as a guide.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Dude tell me about it. I am pretty let down by Cortex customer service. From not replying for days/weeks to sending wrong parts and having the customer foot the bill to get them swapped to ghosting on promised contingencies when purchasing parts.
Don´t get me wrong, the guys are fantastic when you get hold of them and I still really like their products, but man they are giving me hard time not to go back to my MCS setup. Better communication would fix 90% of any issues right away.

Anyways, I got a couple questions and I feel there is a good chance I might get answers to my questions here.

JRi doubles:
  • What is the correct nitrogen pressure for the shocks front and back?
  • JRI doubles (married) or MCS doubles(unmarried). How big you think is the effective lap time difference between these?
SLA:
  • How much did your laptimes effectively drop by using the SLA?
  • What is the weight difference compared to a stock setup?
  • How easy are the shocks to adjust? It appears that the wheels have to be taken off to access the shocks.
  • How long was the lead time when your ordered it?

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel