The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What's up with the horn?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

Ok, had to lay on the horn bigtime today for the first... I was swept with embarrassment after using it.
It sounds like it came off a model-T.

Has anyone replace their horn with something fitting? I think it should be louder than the engine....

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Hah! Just used mine for the first time today. Just coming back from a run to the grocery store, and traffic is queued up at the light where I need to take a left. The light cycle is notoriously short, and I knew that I wasn't likely to make it through on just 1 cycle, especially with the Prius in front of me. Sure enough we just miss making the light because when you have a slow reaction time and the first few folks in line don't have their arse in gear, everyone at the back will have to wait. And guess what, the light turns green, and she doesn't move. Thousand one, thousand two, thousand three, oh come on lady are you asleep? It's only 12 or 15 seconds long and you have just burned though 30-40% of the cycle! So finally at Thousand FIVE, I 'toot' the horn with 2 quick beeps, and I get the 'eyes in the rearview' like, how dare you beep at me... Funny thing, it's my neighbor who lives 4 houses down across the street from me. But given all of the above, if you are asleep at the friggin' switch and are FIRST in line at short light, then pay attention or else face a dreaded beep. Don't get offended, it's a tool to communicate with your fellow drivers, use it! ;D

Sesshomurai

ace72ace said:
Hah! Just used mine for the first time today. Just coming back from a run to the grocery store, and traffic is queued up at the light where I need to take a left. The light cycle is notoriously short, and I knew that I wasn't likely to make it through on just 1 cycle, especially with the Prius in front of me. Sure enough we just miss making the light because when you have a slow reaction time and the first few folks in line don't have their arse in gear, everyone at the back will have to wait. And guess what, the light turns green, and she doesn't move. Thousand one, thousand two, thousand three, oh come on lady are you asleep? It's only 12 or 15 seconds long and you have just burned though 30-40% of the cycle! So finally at Thousand FIVE, I 'toot' the horn with 2 quick beeps, and I get the 'eyes in the rearview' like, how dare you beep at me... Funny thing, it's my neighbor who lives 4 houses down across the street from me. But given all of the above, if you are asleep at the friggin' switch and are FIRST in line at short light, then pay attention or else face a dreaded beep. Don't get offended, it's a tool to communicate with your fellow drivers, use it! ;D

That's pretty funny. Well, in my case I was moving rather quickly on a two lane road with a light up ahead that turned green. My lane was empty and the other lane had like 5 cars that weren't moving so some bozo decides to jump out in front of me thinking that in his sideview mirror I was a good click back, well he underestimated my acceleration and I had to hit the brakes and give him an earful, except when I was expecting a loud horn, it was more like an "annoyed toot", barely audible above the engine......sigh....

darreng505 said:
Ok, had to lay on the horn bigtime today for the first... I was swept with embarrassment after using it.

Has anyone replace their horn with something fitting? I think it should be louder than the engine....

I can assure you the Model T has a much louder, deeper, and more intimidating note! I hate the horn on the Boss. I want an old Fiat racer horn...

darreng505 said:

Completely agree. I'm looking for a DARPA developed weapons grade sound attack system. At inside of 2 meters the sounds waves should physically "push" any vehicle under 2 tons forwards. ;D

Sesshomurai

CrashTex said:
Are you telling me the horn's not as loud as the turn signal relays are??

I wonder what would happen if I wire the horn to the turn signal. That should give anyone in the next lane enough warning that I'm coming over regardless....

Wait, I don't really use the turn signal anyway....the nearest car is too far behind me to care.

The first time I used the horn was after installing the brake cooling kit. I had hoped rotating the horn 180 degrees for clearance was the reason for the weak sound. It appears I was wrong, I'll use the throttle from now on!

CrashTex said:
Are you telling me the horn's not as loud as the turn signal relays are??

Actually I don't believe there area relays anymore. They just make the sound electronically to sound like the old relays. Someone at Ford told me that so take it for what it is...never bothered or cared to research it.

TMO Supporting Vendors