The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheel bearing grease in rotor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
I just swapped out the front factory brake pads on my 2013 Boss and found what looks like wheel bearing grease on the inside of the rotors around the center hole and on the face of the hubs. There was quite a bit of it so I'm assuming this isn't anti-seize from the factory. Both sides had equal amounts. Is this normal?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Not 'normal' but will happen if you don't have brake ducts and boil the grease out of the hub.
I did the same a long time ago and put the ducts on before my next track day. Never saw the problem again.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
What is the mileage on your 2013 Boss, and does it see track time?

Fortunately hubs are not too expensive to replace.

I’ll be inspecting mine soon as I just noticed a slight squeal noise with light pedal application and then it goes away with more brake pedal.

Thinking this might be a pad wear indicator tab staring to make rotor contact.

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
It has about 26K and that includes a dozen track events. The factory stock Feredo pad wear indicator is only about 1/16" above the friction material, so that may very well be causing your squeak. That is pretty thin pad if you are braking hard and often. I replaced with Raybestos ST43 which should be really good on the track and decent on the street.

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
No, it never made it's way outside the rotor. Nothing like your photos. I'm reasonably certain that Ford wouldn't use that much anti-seize but it could be possible. The color and consistency sure looks like wheel bearing grease. I'm going to pop the caps and make sure there is plenty of lube remaining.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel