The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheel Bearing Noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For the past two days, I've been getting temporary chirps from up front when things are still cold. The chirp sounds like bearing noise, which is speed related and only occurs during low speeds. The chirp goes away above ~20 mph and once the car is driven for a couple of minutes.

I gave the front wheels a few good pulls to see if there's any movement, and there was none. I was trying to see if any of you guys have experienced something similar, and if the noises are the first signs to wheel bearing failure.

I'll try to diagnose it more this weekend... I just hope it's not coming from the engine bay. I guess it could also be tensioner (replaced last year), or idler pulley.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Could be brake pads maybe?

Wheel bearing tend to be more of a "grumble" type noise from my experience.

I would pull the wheel and spin the hub slowly by hand and see if it feels like a rough spot, and listen carefully.

Thanks!

I'll try to do that this weekend.
I was also hoping it was brake/rust related, since I dont drive the car on weekdays. But the chirp occurred two days in a row, so I started getting a little worried.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
F.D. Sako said:
Thanks!

I'll try to do that this weekend.
I was also hoping it was brake/rust related, since I dont drive the car on weekdays. But the chirp occurred two days in a row, so I started getting a little worried.

I posted a little vid of my bad bearing last year,if you want to compare noises. Search my post,hopefully this helps

I found your video, and the noise is nothing like that. Now I'm suspecting the drive shaft (aftermarket aluminum). Do universal joints go chirp-chirp when they go bad? ???

Yes, I still have the stock driveshaft handy.
Currently, I have a dynotech aluminum driveshaft on the car.

I've never owned a RWD car before, would universal joints show physical wear?
Or I'm going to have to get creative and mount my gopro mic random places to pin point the noise.

EDIT: Checked a few u-joint noise videos on youtube, doesn't sound like that either... the diagnosis continues!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
F.D.Sako:

What is the mileage on your car? In my experience with U-Joint failure, the needle caps become dry causing needle bearings to fail, and they fail rather quickly once dry. It produces clunk noises and it rumbles and vibrates from being out of balance. It is generally not an intermittent chirp noise when cold. You can inspect for missing or dislodged seals at the u-joint end caps with a small amount of grease trails from centrifugal force. Inspection will also show some amount of Play in the joint. But, by all means, they might very well make a chirp noise at some point in their failure cycle. I have learned one thing in life, anything is possible.

If it is a Chirp noise from the front of the car as described in your OP, my first points of inspection would be:

1. inner front brake pad wear indicators, when the spring steel tabs first make contact with rotors, it is a very intermittent noise. Then progresses to louder on turns, then progresses to a constant squeal noise that goes away when brakes are applied.

2. Accessory drive belt, tentioner(s), and the AC compressor drive belt.

3. I once heard a dry TO bearing chirp when cold, but you could also affect the chirp noise with clutch pedal pressure.

4. Wheel bearings can make chirp noises, but they will be on the dry side, and sometimes evidence of grease trails should be apparent (as above). But these are sealed and non serviceable You can also feel a bad front wheel bearing by rotating the front wheels by hand. Agreed as stated above, they do get a grumble type feel, sound.

How many miles are on your car? Or is this a low mileage weekend / nice weather only driver?

Let us know what you find.
302 Hi Pro

I think it's the throw out bearing.
Your number 3 description is spot on! The chirping stops once the clutch pedal is depressed and after a few minutes of driving.

I need this thing to last 5 track days (2 weekends) and not grenade my transmission, then I'll take the car to a shop to get it replaced as a preventative maintenance.

When my trans was making noise like that I had it rebuilt (for a second time) and the main bearing was shot. I ran it like that for a while because I thought it was the TO bearing. It wasn't. It got very loud before it was rebuilt.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel