The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheel bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Philadelphia
I'm still new to tracking cars and a point of failure on my mind is wheel bearings. Are they an item to worry about or just check at the end of each day for play? From the design with the spindle I don't see a wheel popping off suddenly due to bearing failure but wondering everyone's oppinion

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
I'm still new to tracking cars and a point of failure on my mind is wheel bearings. Are they an item to worry about or just check at the end of each day for play? From the design with the spindle I don't see a wheel popping off suddenly due to bearing failure but wondering everyone's oppinion
I ran through two rear hub bearings within 12 months a few years ago. My mechanic, who spoke with a mechanic friend at the Ford Performance driving school, said that it is common and that we should check the rear axle nuts periodically (at least on the S550, I'm not sure if it is the same on the S197s). So I got a 32mm socket and check them every morning before the first session. Whenever I have the car up I at least check for play.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I have 93,000 on my 2011 with a little over 50 track days. Rear axle bearings are still factory. I have replaced the front hub/bearing assemblies once and that was to get ARP studs. The bearings were still tight. I check for bearing play just about every time a wheel is in the air.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel