The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheel Finishing: Powder Coat, Paint or Bead Blasting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think I didn't previously understand your point on beadblasting. You're saying don't do that AND leave it raw. That makes sense. I may check into bead blasting with walnut shells and then clear coating or painting. Some how the black paint will need to be removed from the wheels and bead blasting seems to be as good as any. It looks like the easiest is just to paint them gunmetal gray and be done with it. Like in the photo below. I still have a month or so to think about what to do with the wheels. Thanks for everyone's input. If anyone has other ideas lets hear them!

tal332784_524171240943196_1541696100_o_zps6c1d7dd5.jpg

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
OK for what its worth. I read the link on 6 speed site and my head hurts. First I have heard of powder coating wheels is bad. Pretty much standard practice up here in the Pacific NW. Have powder coated 5 sets of wheels with no problems. One set on a 95 M-3 did them twice and the car was tracked hard. I would be way more worried about buying a set of used wheels not knowing how they were treated. Just saying.
Anyways I do high end remodeling for a living. We have custom metal work made up all the time. Railings, caps , table legs and furniture. Many times the finish that is chosen is sand blasted and clear coat finish. Looks awesome. NSF get the wheels blasted and a mat clear coat. It will look awesome on your car and you will save a little weight and money over paint or powder coat.

Domestic Product said:
OK for what its worth. I read the link on 6 speed site and my head hurts. First I have heard of powder coating wheels is bad. Pretty much standard practice up here in the Pacific NW. Have powder coated 5 sets of wheels with no problems. One set on a 95 M-3 did them twice and the car was tracked hard. I would be way more worried about buying a set of used wheels not knowing how they were treated. Just saying.
Anyways I do high end remodeling for a living. We have custom metal work made up all the time. Railings, caps , table legs and furniture. Many times the finish that is chosen is sand blasted and clear coat finish. Looks awesome. NSF get the wheels blasted and a mat clear coat. It will look awesome on your car and you will save a little weight and money over paint or powder coat.
Thanks.

Hambone said:
What about a clear anodize after bead blasting?

Not sure about forged, but anodizing castings is not a great idea. I'm dealing with an anodized cast part at work that is shedding material every time we wipe it with IPA. I'm looking into the fabrication and anodizing process now, but everyone I talk to says it's not a great idea.

I talked with a local powder coating company, the one that's doing my X brace, and he said he does lots of wheels on Porsche's and Ferrari's and has never had a failure. He said he bakes the finish on wheels @ 400 degrees for 25 minutes. He also said he masks off the inside of the wheel where it comes in contact with the hub so you still have a solid connection. I still have a few months until my current track tires are worn out to think about this but if anyone has specific experience with powder coating wheels please share your experience.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel