The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheel Hop / Axle Tramp

I noticed from all the videos I've been watching of the Boss 302 at the Dragstrips that they tend to wheel hop or have axle tramp.

I haven't dropped the clutch as yet but have flat matted it a couple times in 1st on the street and the Boss does not have any issues there.

I am sure with the VHT used at the track is what is causing that hop from the extra grip.

Anyway, I had a set of J&M upper and lower control arms for my Bullitt that I never installed. These items do fit the Boss so in preparation for a Dragstrip session, I have installed the lowers. I did not do the uppers at this time and am wondering if anyone has installed just the lowers and still have wheel hop or axle tramp issues at the track?
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,551
2,389
Arizona, USA
I have heard that people like the FR500C rear LCAs, however I have been impressed with J&M's products in the past.

Regarding the upper arm, there is something different about the 11/12 cars from the 05-10 cars, I think there is a bushing diameter or bolt diameter difference, so I'm not sure your UCA will fit on the Boss.
 
ArizonaGT said:
I have heard that people like the FR500C rear LCAs, however I have been impressed with J&M's products in the past.

Regarding the upper arm, there is something different about the 11/12 cars from the 05-10 cars, I think there is a bushing diameter or bolt diameter difference, so I'm not sure your UCA will fit on the Boss.

Thanks for the info, I wonder if the difference is the 14mm vs 16 mm bolt? If so I wonder if the Steeda step spacers would make it work?
 
CaliMR said:
I dunno bout you guys, but axle tramp sounds dirty to me
I know what you mean, I always called it wheel hop, but I read it on one of the other Boss Forums so I thought it was new age lingo, so I included it! ;D
 
People tell me that the GT500 lca will fix it, but that is for GTs and V6s. The website that sells the GT500 ones states it is the same one the Boss gets, but it doesn't look like the one on my car.
 
CaliMR said:
People tell me that the GT500 lca will fix it, but that is for GTs and V6s. The website that sells the GT500 ones states it is the same one the Boss gets, but it doesn't look like the one on my car.
I looked at those too, the pictures of them shows somekind of reinforment plates bolted to it, there is another slot in them that the stock Boss ones don't have. That seems to me would allow more twist. The bushings "look" just like the ones that are on the Boss, even has the releif slots molded in the rubber. Unless the rubber bushing is much harder I don't see how they are better than stock. Also, both of them when installed, have a gap on each side of the bushing and mount on the Differential. I guess that prevents binding while articulating through all it's movements.

The J&M is a round steel tube which is stronger and will not twist like a stamped steel piece might. The bushings on both ends fit snug in their mounts with no gap at all. The binding is prevented by having a harder rubber ball inner bushing sandwiched between softer outer bushings on the rear mount allowing for any side load movement but none while accelerating and braking.

I'm a big fan of Ford Racing parts but in this case I think others will do a better job.

Doesn't the FR500's come with tubular lowers?
 
hotrodnut said:
I'm a big fan of Ford Racing parts but in this case I think others will do a better job.

Doesn't the FR500's come with tubular lowers?
Yes, here you go.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/Mustang_FR500C_Rear_Lower_Control_Arms_p/m-5649-r1.htm
 
hotrodnut said:
ArizonaGT said:
I have heard that people like the FR500C rear LCAs, however I have been impressed with J&M's products in the past.

Regarding the upper arm, there is something different about the 11/12 cars from the 05-10 cars, I think there is a bushing diameter or bolt diameter difference, so I'm not sure your UCA will fit on the Boss.

Thanks for the info, I wonder if the difference is the 14mm vs 16 mm bolt? If so I wonder if the Steeda step spacers would make it work?

I installed a Steeda Adjustable UCA (part# 555-4112) on my Boss this past weekend. The one for a 05-10 will not fit. The UCA on the 2011-12 is an inch longer and looks like the one pictured below. With one exception, the UCA on a 2011-12 is much easier to install than earlier S197s, because the fuel tank is shaped differently and doesn't get in your way or need to be lowered. The exception is the torgue on the bolt ( a grade 12.9 bolt ) that you get access to under the rear seat bottom, which is 350 ft-lb of torgue according to the Ford Service Manual ( http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=734&viewfile=Upper Arm.pdf ), not the 129 ft-lb it used to be on the 05-10 models, so it's harder to both loosen and tighten. I torqued the bolt to 250 ft-lb, which is as high as my 1/2" torque wrench will go.

New555-4105.jpg

I also installed BR billet LCAs and a J&M adjustable panhard bar. All this in preparation for the dragstrip.
 
This is the set I'm looking at for my LCA.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=514_21_91_428
 
mustang920 said:
This is the set I'm looking at for my LCA.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=514_21_91_428

IMO those are a little extreme than what's needed to eliminate wheep hop. The spherical rod ends will generate some noise. I would recommend Steeda Billet LCAs or BBR Billet LCAs like I have on my Boss, like pictured below.

IMG_5420.jpg
 
SoFlaBoss said:
mustang920 said:
This is the set I'm looking at for my LCA.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=514_21_91_428

IMO those are a little extreme than what's needed to eliminate wheep hop. The spherical rod ends will generate some noise. I would recommend Steeda Billet LCAs or BBR Billet LCAs like I have on my Boss, like pictured below.

IMG_5420.jpg

Those are beeeeeeauuuutiful! Thanks for your post on the upper too, now where's my hacksaw, measuring stick and welder, LOL! ???

Where do you race, Moroso?
 
hotrodnut said:
Those are beeeeeeauuuutiful! Thanks for your post on the upper too, now where's my hacksaw, measuring stick and welder, LOL! ???

Where do you race, Moroso?

Yeah same place as Moroso, but it's now called Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR). Some investors recently poured lots of money into it, so now it's first class and includes an all new Road Course and a Drag Strip that's all concrete. I don't get there too often though because it's like 85 miles north of me.
 
SoFlaBoss said:
hotrodnut said:
Those are beeeeeeauuuutiful! Thanks for your post on the upper too, now where's my hacksaw, measuring stick and welder, LOL! ???

Where do you race, Moroso?

Yeah same place as Moroso, but it's now called Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR). Some investors recently poured lots of money into it, so now it's first class and includes an all new Road Course and a Drag Strip that's all concrete. I don't get there too often though because it's like 85 miles north of me.

To me, it'll always be Moroso, ;D that's what it was when I worked across the street at Pratt & Whitney and raced there myself.

Kinda like some tracks that sponsors bought their name, it'll alway be Charlotte Motor Speedway, Sonoma, etc.

Let us know how it goes, with me just changing the lowers may work on the street ok, but when you get in the glue at the track it may be a different story.

Our local track (50 miles) closed down because of reasons with owners, hopefully it'll be picked up by someone else because the next closest is 170 miles!
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
ihatepotholess said:
CaliMR said:
I dunno bout you guys, but axle tramp sounds dirty to me

hahahaha... oh boy.

i know there are few guys that installed watts link on their car. can we get some feed backs? how is it on the road and tracks.

What's the difference between Axle Tramp and a Paddock Pony ?

Answer: Nothing, they both get you in deep trouble with the wife.


I'll be here all weekend, please tip the waitresses... ;D

(PS: I promise to stop these ONCE I CAN GET BACK ON THE TRACK IN MARCH !!)
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top