The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheel hop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
It should not be that bad overall since it is an independent suspension, but when are you finding it an issue, under hard launch or on the track? Just asking, as it can be somewhat dependent on the surface or how you are using the car. I have not seen much of an issue while running on a road course or autocross, for instance.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Agreed, but he he should have Michelins with the Performance Pack, and often it seems to me the wheel hop is under hard , drag race type situations, on certain types of payment and often during cold/cool weather when tires and pavement are not conducive.

Agreed, but he he should have Michelins with the Performance Pack, and often it seems to me the wheel hop is under hard , drag race type situations, on certain types of payment and often during cold/cool weather when tires and pavement are not conducive.

nope, mine came with pirelli Pzero's .

1670686857656.png

all i've done to mitigate this thus far is install these which eliminated about 60-70% of the absolutely insane amount of wheel hop.
that said, i still get hop on the 1-2 shift and a little on hard launches.

allegedly i can feather the clutch on launch and lower shifts to mitigate this but i'd rather nail down the root issue without ruining the nvh of the car.

1670689721138.png

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
The root cause is all the rubber in the stock suspension, it compresses and then unloads, rinse and repeat. And to stop it you're going to have to lock out all the rubber, or replace all the rubber with high durometer bushings. Both of those are going to increase NVH to some extent.
You are drag racing I take it, because wheel hop is not an issue at all with road course cars, standing starts are pretty much not a thing any more.

The root cause is all the rubber in the stock suspension, it compresses and then unloads, rinse and repeat. And to stop it you're going to have to lock out all the rubber, or replace all the rubber with high durometer bushings. Both of those are going to increase NVH to some extent.
You are drag racing I take it, because wheel hop is not an issue at all with road course cars, standing starts are pretty much not a thing any more.

i dabble.

the Pzero's hook really well, i think that's actually part of the problem. they hook, the stock bushings load up then something gives which unloads the suspension which unloads the tire which allows for hop. the stock dampners don't seem to be perfectly matched to the springs so that could be part off it as well.

thoughts on going to 18's?

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
i dabble.

the Pzero's hook really well, i think that's actually part of the problem. they hook, the stock bushings load up then something gives which unloads the suspension which unloads the tire which allows for hop. the stock dampners don't seem to be perfectly matched to the springs so that could be part off it as well.

thoughts on going to 18's?
Its been recommended to kind of decide on what you want to do with the car and what tire you want to use before you choose a wheel size. For a minor example, I run autocross CAM C, have to run TW200 tires, in 18's you pretty much have to run 315's as until recently there just wasn't anything else, no 305's, etc. Lots more variety in 19's for TW200's.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
West
I have a '17 GT PP1 and have done the centering, lockout bushings along with subframe connectors, jacking rails, and front lower support. I also put the improved diff bolts in without any of the diff bushing kits because I was told that they all add NHV. I am not as concerned with the NHV as I was with the crazy back end that this car had. Wheel Hop? Well, I don't drag race, street race or do burnouts for show but I may get on it really hard occasionally and have no issue with wheel hop. Oh! And I thought that the P-Zero's were good until I changed to the PS4S.

I have PS4S (282/35/19's) on 19X10's going on after some other changes that I will make very soon. Looking forward to the square set up.

TMO Supporting Vendors