The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheel/tire packages for track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BossJockey said:
Dean#4AI said:
rcode1965 said:
Those Forgestar's look great Dean. Been thinking of getting a set also, or at least it's one of my favorite's so far. Can you tell me what size of wheel and tire size you went with? Thanks.

I'm running a square setup with 18x10 wheels and 275/40 Nitto NT01 tires. The tire diameter is the same as the stock 19s.

Did the fronts fit without a spacer?

Yes, no spacers.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
cloud9 said:
It's most likely a P0300, P0305 or P0306. It's pretty common from track use. The PCM perceives misfires, but they're "phantom". The cure is to have your dealer perform a cranshaft sensor relearn process. The crankshaft position sensor is getting fooled into reading misfires. Scott said Ford told him it's from hitting the rev limiter while I had another Ford person tell me it was from vibrations transmitted through the driveline from track curbing. Either way the crank sensor relearn TSB is the cure.
I haven't got those codes (yet). My Boss will pop 0446 evap/emmissions every so often if I don't allow for a short cool down after a hot run.

Dig-It said:
I haven't got those codes (yet). My Boss will pop 0446 evap/emmissions every so often if I don't allow for a short cool down after a hot run.

Misfire are the most common codes but I have also had P0200, P0222, P0131 in addition to the P030X codes.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
OK, I borrowed a set of R6s (275/35/18) for today's time trials, immediately dropped 1.5 seconds off my best time on NT01s. These tires are no joke! Looks like my buddy can get them for $1200/set, so I might just start buying em...

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
They are stickier but will also cost u more in the long run if thats a concern. For straight HPDE's i"m goodv with the NT-01's brother, the NT-555R-II.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
It ate my Corsa's fast, I can't imagine hiow fast an R6 would get eaten up. My guess is 3 track days tops.

PeteInCT said:
It ate my Corsa's fast, I can't imagine hiow fast an R6 would get eaten up. My guess is 3 track days tops.
How many track days did you get out of your Corsa's?

For those using street tires I finally ran my Toyo Proxes 1's this weekend and Proxes 1's < Pirelli P Zero. Next up probably either Yokohama AD08 or Michelin PSS if I stay with the 19's.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
How many track days did you get out of your Corsa's?

For those using street tires I finally ran my Toyo Proxes 1's this weekend and Proxes 1's < Pirelli P Zero. Next up probably either Yokohama AD08 or Michelin PSS if I stay with the 19's.

I got less just over 4 track days on my left front tire. I may have gotten a little more if I was running less pressure fron the start. The other 3 are still on the car and I guess I have 2 more hard days on them. A lot of my days were at Lime Rock Park, it's not the fastest course but at the same time you are always turning, and most of the turns are at higher speeds (there are no hairpins that force you to slow down too much).

The AD08's may give you a bit more grip than the PSS's but the PSS's will last a lot longer and will kick butt in wet conditions. To me that's the best overall non r-comp tire out there.

PeteInCT said:
I got less just over 4 track days on my left front tire. I may have gotten a little more if I was running less pressure fron the start. The other 3 are still on the car and I guess I have 2 more hard days on them. A lot of my days were at Lime Rock Park, it's not the fastest course but at the same time you are always turning, and most of the turns are at higher speeds (there are no hairpins that force you to slow down too much).

The AD08's may give you a bit more grip than the PSS's but the PSS's will last a lot longer and will kick butt in wet conditions. To me that's the best overall non r-comp tire out there.
So maybe six days then. That's more than I thought.

I'm more interested in grip than running in the wet. Remember it never rains in CA....except for when it rains. :D

PeteInCT said:
I got less just over 4 track days on my left front tire. I may have gotten a little more if I was running less pressure fron the start. The other 3 are still on the car and I guess I have 2 more hard days on them.

Pete, that is more then most others were reporting. I am getting two - three days (2.5-3.5 hours) on a set of the Conti/Hoosier take-offs, that's a deal.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
2012YellowBoss said:
PeteInCT said:
I got less just over 4 track days on my left front tire. I may have gotten a little more if I was running less pressure fron the start. The other 3 are still on the car and I guess I have 2 more hard days on them.

Pete, that is more then most others were reporting. I am getting two - three days (2.5-3.5 hours) on a set of the Conti/Hoosier take-offs, that's a deal.

I expect that from R6's - these are the Pirelli so you get a little more. The bad part about the Pirelli's is you can't grind them to the bone, the rubber peels away (in chunks) well before you really get to the cord. Not what I expected from a $600+ tire. Nitto's here I come !!

PeteInCT said:
2012YellowBoss said:
PeteInCT said:

I expect that from R6's - these are the Pirelli so you get a little more. The bad part about the Pirelli's is you can't grind them to the bone, the rubber peels away (in chunks) well before you really get to the cord. Not what I expected from a $600+ tire. Nitto's here I come !!
A Boss owner local to me has Corsa's and had them shaved 4mm. They seem to be holding up ok so far but he's already stated he won't buy them again.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I'd prefer a little closer to back seat actually. And have her shed about 400 lbs or so.... Oh wait, that a GT3. And we can run with that. Nevermind.... ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors