The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheel weights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It has gotten so bad that besides the metal tape, I also place a piece of red "grip tape" on the outside of the tire so the tire changer indexes the weights away from the caliper on pit stops. Usually we have to wait for the fuel guy, so the brakes heat soak everything, they occaisionally burst into flames if the driver stays on the pedal, so we always rotate the wheel (or roll it forward) if the car sits too long. I just had this happen again during tire tests this past weekend.

Last edited:
TX
It has gotten so bad that besides the metal tape, I also place a piece of red "grip tape" on the outside of the tire so the tire changer indexes the weights away from the caliper on pit stops. Usually we have to wait for the fuel guy, so the brakes heat soak everything, they occaisionally burst into flames if the driver stays on the pedal, so we always rotate the wheel (or roll it forward) if the car sits too long. I just had this happen again during tire tests this past weekend.
Speaking of this weekend - how were those new GTP/LMDH/whatever-they're-called cars?

TX
Didn't see any, there were a bunch of Gt4s and a few Gt3s there.
Ahh, I assumed they had you all there at the same time. I saw video on YouTube of the Toyota, Cadillac, Audi, and Porsche cars testing at Daytona. They looks pretty good. Hopefully an interesting year for the championship.

Ahh, I assumed they had you all there at the same time. I saw video on YouTube of the Toyota, Cadillac, Audi, and Porsche cars testing at Daytona. They looks pretty good. Hopefully an interesting year for the championship.
I like the GS stuff because it is the most like the old Trans Am cars. Besides, I was around for the Mark IVs, Ferraris P3s, 917s Longtails, and to be honest the current crop of LMP thingies are about as appetizing to me as snorting rat farts.Screenshot_20221213-215345_DuckDuckGo.jpg

the start from electric to petrol is unreal
The first time I experienced that was at Daytona, the car ran down pit lane on electric, then when they went off the pit lane speed limiter the gas engine cracked into life, and I mean " cracked", it was as loud as a rifle shot. Scared the crap out of me until I got used to hearing just the tires rolling, and expecting the fire up.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel