The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wheel well forward molding extension buring from side pipes on my LS ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would adding reflective tape/foil or an aluminum plate just reflect the heat on to the main bodywork of the car and heat the body panels instead?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Nope - check the maintenance supplement. Ford states if you track the car to remove these puppies. They saw it coming.

98RedGT

2012 #552
so we are saying that this is an issue only when running on track? is anybody seeing this issue with just street driving?

98RedGT said:
so we are saying that this is an issue only when running on track? is anybody seeing this issue with just street driving?
There's not enough sustained heat running at WOT from street driving to melt them. You'd be in jail before you got them hot enough on the street.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
PeteInCT said:
Nope - check the maintenance supplement. Ford states if you track the car to remove these puppies. They saw it coming.
Can someone please help me out with a copy of the maintenance supplement?

cloud9 said:
98RedGT said:
There's not enough sustained heat running at WOT from street driving to melt them. You'd be in jail before you got them hot enough on the street.
Even with side plates removed and TracKey enabled?

Vince said:
cloud9 said:
98RedGT said:
Even with side plates removed and TracKey enabled?
I had my side plates removed from day one. I didn't melt these until I put it on the track on a very hot day. TracKey shouldn't affect it one way or the other since it appears to behave the same at WOT as black key.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I would think that if the stock restrictor plates are in that there would be less of a chance of melting them, even if tracking the car, since the airflow is so restricted. Still, Ford says take them off you track the car independent of if you have the restrictor plates in or not.

Of course, I didn't pay attention to the supplement... ;D

I finally had a chance to check my air deflectors behind the side pipes last night and mine are also starting to melt and I only have 2000 miles on it and I haven't even had it to the track yet. Both sides are starting melted, with the left side being worse.

It sounds like Ford needs to step with a redesign and replacement. Has anyone had theirs replaced under warranty? Has anyone contacted Ford Customer Service to let them know that there is a problem?

BLAZN BOSS

2800 miles, no track time, no trackey,.............mine still look new.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I'd assume that:

• You have the restrictor plates in
  • You havn't pushed the car hard for many extended run(s)
  • You live in Northern Saskatchewan ;D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Has anyone figured out a good option for slicks?

I've heard continental slick takeoffs are the way to go, if you can find em...

I have a set sitting in my garage now, will let you know more about em in January/February.

Otherwise see if you can get Hoosier R80s in your size.

BLAZN BOSS

PeteInCT said:
I'd assume that:

• You have the restrictor plates in
  • You havn't pushed the car hard for many extended run(s)
  • You live in Northern Saskatchewan ;D
Car is just like it came from Ford, Extended runs?......Nope. Saskatchewan?.......nope Virginia...............Just a few 1/4 mile runs..........killed one new SS Camaro. LOL

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel